Facts and Events
James Coulter was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
James Coulter's land (Borden Tract NW, 212 acres patented in 1753) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 183.--13th March, 1753. Same (From Borden, etc.) to James Coalter. Delivered: Wm. Martin, July, 1750, 212 acres of 92100. Hay's Creek; corner Wm. Reagh.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 13.--21st August, 1766. James ( ) Coulter to Michael Coulter, £40, 212 acres on Hays Creek; corner Wm. Reagh (Raigh, Reaigh). Teste: Alex. Stewart, Alex. Walker. Delivered: Michael Coulter, 31st June, 1773.
- COULTER, JAMES
- Rockbridge Co., Va. Will filed March 2, 1784.
- wife Margaret
- s. Michael Coulter
- d. Elizabeth Wardlaw
- s. in l. William Wardlaw
- d. Agnes Stell
- d. Mary Wardlaw
- d. Sarah Paxton
- d. Jannet Logan
- g.s. James Moore
- g.d. Janet Moore
Processioning List of 1760
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 287.--1760: Processioned by Reagh and Huston: For James Walker, for James Robison, for James Moore, for Charles Hays, for Andrew Hays, for Samuel Dunlap, for Wm. Porter, for Robert Ealson, for James Anderson, for Jacob Anderson, for Wm. Young, for Alex. Walker, for Alex. Walker, Sr., for Robert Hurt, for John Edmiston, for James Buchanan, for William and Robert Buchanan, for Samuel Hayes, for John Robertson, for Mathew Robertson, for Widow Bell, for James Coulter, for John Buntin, for Wm. Buchanan, for Andrew Buchanan, for Alex. Miller, for John Wallace, for Samuel Buchanan, for Wm. Reaoh, for Joseph Culton, for John Walker, for Wm. Porter, for Robert Catton (Cotton), for John Hurt (Hart).
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY, 1749 (A). - John Stephen vs. Robert Gamble.--Debt on bond dated 20th November, 1746. "I, Robert Gamble, of County of Bucks. in Pennsylvania." Robert (mark x) Gamble. Witnesses, James Coulter, James Halliday. (Note: assuming that it is this James Coulter that witnessed the bond of Robert Gamble, this provides ample evidence to suggest that James Coulter had migrated from Bucks County, Pennsylvania with several other Augusta County families).
- Page 228.--1st March, 1749. Andrew Martin's appraisement, by Andrew Pickens, James Walker, James Coulter.
- Page 276.--7th June, 1763. Borden's executors to Alexander Govouck (McGuffy), £3, 100 acres, part of 92,100 on Walker's Creek opposite James Coulter's lower corner; corner Wm. Robinson. Teste: Wm. Hall, Richard Crump. Delivered to James McGuffey, one of the heirs of the said McGuffy this 16th October, 1806.
- Page 113.--17th April, 1766. William Kelly's will--To wife, Margaret; to son, Samuel; to son, Anthony; to son, John; to daughter, Margaret; to daughter, Elizabeth McElwrath; to daughter, Rebecca. Executors, wife Margaret, son Anthony and Andw. Hays. Teste: John Hays, John Moore, David Scott. Proved, 17th May, 1768, by Hays and Moore. Margaret and Anthony Kelly qualified, with Alex. Walker and James Coulter.
- Page 418.--20th June, 1769. Henry Picket and Jean to Hugh Donaghoe, £10, 174 acres on a draft of North River of Shanandoe, corner Robert McMahon. Teste: John McMahon, James Coulter, Samuel Erwin. Delivered: Hugh Donaho, 8th March, 1775.
- Page 340.--29th June, 1771. John Buntain to John Wilson, £20, 226 acres of Bordens 92100, on Back Creek. Teste: John, Andrew and James Hays, Alex. Wilson, James Colter. Delivered: Mr. Wilson, August Court, 1777.