Facts and Events
James Brewster born say 1568 probably in Scrooby died 14 Jan 1613 in Sutton, Nottinghamshire, England. He married Mary Welbeck who died 7 Apr 1637 in Sutton, Nottinghamshire, England and they had four daughters Grace who married William Glaive, Elizabeth, Susanna and Judith who married Edward Oldfied. He is proposed to be the James Brewster who was vicar of Sutton cum Laude. He matriculated at St John's College at Cambridge in 1582, succeeded Henry Brewster (his uncle) as vicar at Sutton on Lound in 1594. His brother William Brewster testified on his behalf. Although it has not been decisively proven that this son James is identical to the man of the same name who was vicar. However, the evidence is fairly strong that he was. 
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Ancestral File (R) (12). (Copyright (c) 1987, June 1998, data as of 5 January 1998).
- ↑ Joseph Hunter, Collections concerning the church or congregation of Protestant Separatists formed at Scrooby in north Nottinghamshire (John Russell Smith, 1854) p 75 link
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 John G Hunt "The Mother of Elder William Brewster of the Mayflower" in The New England Historical and Genealogical Register. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1847-. (Online database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1970) Volume 124 p 250-254 link to article at AmericanAncestors
- ↑ Nottingham Parish registers, vol 21, Marriages at "Sutton on Lound," p 11, 12. See also, will of Richard Ellis, made there in March 1586 (York P&E 23:227) which was witnessed by Henry Brewster, clerk, and James Brewster, clerk, presumably his nephew and his successor as vicar.
- ↑ Merrick, Barbara Lambert, and E. Virginia Hunt. William Brewster of the Mayflower: and his descendants for four generations. (Plymouth, MA: General Society of Mayflower Descendants, 2014), p 1-2, 2014. The GSMD "Silver Book"
- ↑ Cambridge alumni database Accessed 6/20/2016: James BREWSTER
Approx. lifespan: 1564â1613
Matric. sizar from St John's College 1582:10MT:
One of these names, Master of Bawtry Hospital, West Riding of Yorkshire 1584
V. of Sutton-on-Lownd, [ West Riding of Yorkshire ???] 1596
( H. M. Dexter 254)
[app:] brother of William BREWSTER (1580) a Pilgrim Father
Son of Henry, V. of Sutton cum Lound, [ Nottinghamshire ???] [:app]
[app:]V. of Sutton cum Lound, [ Nottinghamshire ???] 1594-1613 [:app]
[app:]succeeded his father[:app]
[app:]Buried 1613:01:14 [:app]
[app:](T.P.R. Layng: Notts Parish Regs. vol. XXI p. 11; Thor. Soc. XX, 178)[:app]