b.BET 1732 AND 1734
Facts and Events
James Blair was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Advisory on James Blair
Some sources claim that this James Blair married Mary Colbert. This is in error, a different (and much older) James Blair, who was the one that married Mary Colbert. There is no proven relationship between these two James Blairs.
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
James Blair acquired 144 acres of land in Augusta County prior to 1763, most likely from his father, Alexander Blair. James sold the land in the transaction listed below:
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 418.--15th January, 1763. James and Kitrin ( ) Blair to Hugh Doneghe, £65, 144 acres on south side Middle River Shanando, crossing the Bald Hill. Teste: John King, Thos. Stevenson, John ( ) Dowell.
Records of James Blair in Augusta County, VA
- Page 459.--91 acres patented to Robert King 1st August, 1745; devised by Robert's will 23d August, 1749, to 3 daughters, Sarah, Elizabeth and Catherine. Sarah died without issue; Elizabeth has married Robert Patterson, and Catherine has married James Blair (grantor here). (Note: this proves the identity of Catherine, James Blair's wife, as Catherine King, daughter of Robert King).
- Page 143.--19th March, 1771. John King and Mary to John Poage, £335, four tracts on south side Middle River of Shanandore and on both sides of the Falling Spring Branch: A, 44 acres, part of 90 acres patented to Robert King, 1st August, 1745 and by his will devised to his two daughters, Elizabeth and Catharine, and on division this 44 acres became the property of Katharine, wife to James Blair, who conveyed to John King, 18th September, 1763, corner Robert Patterson, now Robert Young's; also B, 30 acres adjoining above, part of 115 acres patented to William Sharp, 10th March, 1756, and coneyed to John, July, 17; also C, 95 acres adjoining, patented to John, 20th July, 1768; D, 148 acres, patented to said John, 20th July, 1768. Teste: Michael Dickey, John King, Robert Young. Delivered: John Poage, devisee of John Poage, deceased, 1st October, 1799. (Note: this again record proves that Robert King's daughter Catherine married James Blair).
Information on James Blair
- 12. James Blair was born 1737 in Ireland, and died Bef 20 Nov 1810 in Granger Co, TN. He was the son of 24. Alexander Blair and 25. Jane Preston Scott.
- 13. Catherine King was born Bef 1749 in , Orange, Virginia, and died Aft 15 Nov 1814 in , Grainger, Tennessee. She was the daughter of 26. Robert King and 27. Catherine.
- Children of Catherine King and James Blair are:
- i. Robert Blair was born 1770 in , , Virginia, and died 22 Sep 1844 in Blair Twp, Clay, Illinois. He married Mary "Polly" Bean 1792 in Grainger County, Tennessee, daughter of William Bean and Rachel Ball. She was born 1773 in , , Tennessee, and died 24 Jun 1850 in Blair Twp, Clay, Illinois.
- ii. Alexander Blair was born in , Grainger, Tennessee.
- iii. James Blair was born 1769.
- iv. William Blair.
- v. Samuel Blair was born in , , Tennessee. He married Joanna Perrin 10 Apr 1799 in Grainger County, Tennessee.
- vi. Solomon Blair.
- vii. John Blair died 14 May 1793 in , Hawkins, Tennessee.
- viii. Catherine Blair.
Help fund new features!