Facts and Events
James Armstrong was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 472.--22d November, 1753. Captain Robert Armstrong and Lydia to James Armstrong, 1753, 70 acres, part of tract patented to Robert on Middle River where he now lives. Delivered: Sampson Archer, March, 1759. (Note: land given to James Armstrong by his father, Capt. Robert Armstrong).
- Page 387.--Patent to James Armstrong, 12th May, 1757. Patented to Robert Armstrong, deceased, and conveyed by him to his son James, 22d November, 1753.
Will of James Armstrong
- Page 341.--7th October, 1759. James Armstrong's nuncupative will Wife, Sarah (pregnant); daughters, Liddy and Jean. Executors, wife Sarah and Bro. Robt. Armstrong. Teste: Thomas Lloyd, Samuel Archer. Proved, 21st November, 1759, by witnesses, and executors qualified, with Sampson Archer, James Bell.
- Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY 17, 1762. - (156) Rob. Armstrong is appointed guardian of Lydia, James and Jane Armstrong orphans of James Armstrong.
Records of James Armstrong in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - FEE BOOKS OF AUGUSTA COURT - 1750-51; page 161, James and Robert Armstrong, Ormond's sons, (November, 1751), vs. Kinkade.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 17, 1753. - (448) Robert Armstrong, qualified Capn. of Foot; James Armstrong, qualified Lieut. of Foot.
- Page 262.--27th March, 1753. Robert Armstrong's will, yeoman--Eldest son, James, possessed of 350 acres for which the Government is paid, therefore testator gives him no more; son, Robert, all lands and moveables; executor, wife Lydia. Teste: Jno. Jones, Jhorn (?) Armstrong, Sampson Archer. Proved, 20th April, 1753, by Jones and Armstrong. Executor qualified (with Jho. Armstrong, James Gamwell).
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Find A Grave.
Death: Oct. 6, 1759
Here lies the body of
Departed this Life in the
Twenty Eight year of His
age October the Sixth 1759