Facts and Events
Jacob Sheets was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Emmigration to America
The following were included on the Passenger List of the ship "Snow Rowand", that sailed from Rotterdam and arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on Saturday, 29 September 1753:
- Jacob (X) Shutz
- Matthias Schutz
Source: Immigrant Ships Website.
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
- 1777 - Jacob Sheets bought 300 acres on Naked Creek in Augusta County. 
- 1785 - Jacob Sheets had 27 acres surveyed on Naked Creek in Augusta County. 
- 1791 - Jacob Sheets had 200 acres surveyed on Naked Creek in Augusta County. 
Will of Jacob Sheets
- Page 294.--13th July, 1803. Jacob Sheetz's (German) will, advanced in years--To daughter, Margaret, wife to Garrett Daulton; granddaughter, Elizabeth Miller; son, Jacob (infant by second wife); son, John; son, Philip; son, Daniel; son, Peter; son, Andrew; son, Henry; wife. Executors, sons John, Daniel, Peter. Teste: Jacob Kinney, Jno. Fackler, W. Chambers, M. Garber, Jr; Geo. Fackler. Codicil, 27th June, 1808--Son Jacob has so behaved as to forfeit respect and benevolence; bequest revoked, and to be divided between other six sons, viz: John, Philip, Daniel, Peter, Andrew Henry. Teste: Samuel Frame, Adam Link, Jas. Crawford, Vincent Tapp, Joseph Smith. Proved, 24th July, 1809. Executor Daniel refused to qualify. John and Peter qualify.
- Page 298.--Plats accompanying said will above recorded.
- Page 301.--_24th July, 1809. Agreement between Elizabeth Sheetz, widow and relict of Jacob Sheetz and John, Peter, Philip, Daniel, Andrew, Henry Sheetz. She releases dower.
- Page 411.--15th June, 1810. Jacob Sheetz's heirs (see his will, p. 294, supra) agree to give their brother Jacob the $1,000 left him in the original will. Heirs are, viz: Daniel, Philip, Andrew, Henry, John, Peter.
Records of Jacob Sheets in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Tithables, 1783; in Capt. Givens's and Campbell's Companies: Jacob Sheits and son John.
- Page 185.--15th April, 1788. John Blair's will--To father; to 3 sisters, Elizabeth, Mary, and Jean; to sister, Margaret; to brother, James; to mother. Executors, father and James Seawright. Teste: John Campbell, Jacob and John Sheetz. Proved. 15th December, 1789, by Campbell and Jacob Sheets. Executor Seawright qualifies.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County - 1788--July 2, Jacob Sheets and John Heizer, surety. Jacob Sheets and Elizabeth Butt. Own consent. Teste: John Lanahan, Thos. Leanch. (Note: this was Jacob Sheets 2nd marriage).
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County - 1790--July 19, Christian Huffman and Barbary Butt, daughter of Henry Butt (consent) (German); witnesses, Jacob Sheetz (German), Adam Butt; surety, Jacob Sheetz.
- Page 458.--11th February, 1792. John Oliver's estate appraised by Jacob Sheets and Anthony Ailer.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage in Augusta County - 1796, By Rev. Wm. Wilson: June 9th, Jacob Shetz and Eliz. Blackam (burn). (Note: this was Jacob Sheets 3rd marriage).
- Vol. 1 - JUNE, 1799 (A to G). - John Bier vs. Jacob Sheetz and wife, Elizabeth, late Elizabeth Bleehon (Bleehern).--26th September, 1797.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County - 1799--September 23, Andrew Sheetz and Jacob Sheetz, Jno. Sensibough, surety. Andrew Sheetz and Catherine Sensebough, daughter of above John Sensebaugh.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1800 (A to I). - Joseph Altoffer vs. Jacob Sheets and Elizabeth, his wife, late Elizabeth Player, Administratrix of Peter Player (Peter Player) deceased.--Settlement of Peter Player's estate in Rockingham, July Court, 1800.
- Chalkley's Augusta County, Virginia Records