Facts and Events
Jacob Pence was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 726.--27th November, 1749. Christopher Franciscus, Jr., of Augusta, to Jacob and Valentine Pence, 210 acres, part of 3,000 acres on Cub Run; corner Nicholas Null. Delivered: H. Dowley (See page 720, supra.), 20th August, 1751.
Estate Records of Jacob Pence
- Page 305.--27th February, 1750-51. Valentine Pence's bond as administrator (executor) of Jacob Pence.
- Page 362.--29th May, 1751. Appraisement of Jacob Pence, by Robert Hooks, Wm. Williams.
- Page 147.--5th April, 1751. Sale held of the estate of Jacob Pence, and settlement of estate by Peter Miller, executor of Val. Pence, who was executor of Jacob Pence, recorded 18th May, 1762. Sold to Henry Dooley, James Bartley, Wm. Craig, Jno. Fudge, James Downey, Joseph Wait, Repentance Townsend, Jacob Harman, Saml. Muncy, Robt. Hook, Danl. Love, David Loran, Wm. Beard, Johnston Hill, David Crighton; to cash. Paid Jno. Wright, Henry Perkey, Jno. Maggart, Andw. Faught, Jacob Pence. Nicholas Trout, Thos. Crawford, Archd. Huston.
- Page 174.--__ _____, 1768. Jacob Pence's estate settled, by Valentine Pence--Paid Jacob Pence remainder of his portion of his father's estate, paid George Pence, John Pence, Wm. Pence. Errors excepted by Peter Miller, executor of Valentine Pence.
Records of Jacob Pence in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 271.--3d November, 1750. Mathew Shaup's will--Eldest sons-in-law, Michael Cam, George Cam, the full estate their own father left them; one-third to be divided between 8 children; one-third to be divided between his own 6 children; two eldest sons, John and Adam Shaup. Executors, George Carpenter, Jacob Pence. Teste: Henry Dickey (Dickins), Jacob Nicholas, George Bernhart Mann. Proved, 28th November, 1750; proved by Nicholas, and others summoned.
- Page 445.--17th June, 1762. Philip Haws, of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, to Jacob Passenger, £30, 125 acres between Cub Run and Picked Mountain, patented to Haws, 14th February, 1761. Cor. Nicholas Trout, Jacob Pence's line. Teste: Jacob ( ) Pence, Adam Pence. Delivered: Jacob Argenbright, November, 1764.
- Page 725.--20th November, 1764. Jacob ( ) Passinger and Catherine ( ) to Jacob Archenbright. £__, 325 acres between Cub Run and the Peaked Mountain the same that Jacob purchased of Phillip Haws, to whom it was patented 14th February, 1761; corner a survey of Nicolas Trout. Jacob Pence's line. Delivered: Jacob Archenbright, August, 1769.
- Page 795.--19th March, 1765. Jacob Pence, eldest son and heir-at-law of Jacob Pence, late of Augusta, deceased, and Adam Pence, ditto of Valentine Pence, ditto to Jacob Nicholas. Whereas Jacob, Sr., and Valentine owned in common 164 acres near the Peeked Mountain, the patent being issued in the name of Jacob. Jacob Nicholas purchased Valentine's moiety, but before title was made Jacob devised the whole to Valentine to enable him to make conveyance to said Jacob Nicholas and to Adam Hetrick, who had bought Jacob Pence's half. Valentine died without making conveyance, and Nicholas brought suit in chancery and the grantors here were decreed, on 21st August, 1762, within three months after they come of age, to make conveyance, £14, 75 acres, part of 164 acres, patented to Jacob, 20th August, 1747, at end of Peaked Mountain; Jacob Nicholas's field, corner land formerly John Lawrence's. Delivered: Col. Jno. Rusk.
- Page 199.--14th November, 1768. Received of Peter Miller, executor of Valentine Pence, who was executor of Jacob Pence, £2.18.6-1/2, being the ballance due me on settlement of my father's estate.--Yacob bru-- (Pence). Ditto, similar receipt from George Pence.
Information on Jacob Pence
From research conducted and compiled by the late Richard A. Pence of Fairfax, Virginia:
1 JACOB PENCE was born about 1710 probably in Germany; married Catherine _____ [also called Mary Catherine in some records] about 1737; died near Cub Run, Augusta (now Rockingham) Co VA before 27 Feb 1750/51 when his brother Valentine Pence gave bond as executor of his will, dated 20 Dec 1750. Will mentions his sons Jacob and George, each to have a third with their mother, unnamed, "when they come of age." Jacob, George, John and William Pence, and Christian Persinger (husband of Jacob's daughter Barbara), received settlement in 1768 from Peter Miller, who was executor of Valentine Pence's will. Jacob Pence's widow remarried to Jacob Persinger, date not known, and they went to Botetourt Co VA. Children:
11 JACOB PENCE was no doubt the John Jacob Bentz, son of Jacob Bentz, whose birth on 3 Feb 1739 (baptized 15 Apr 1739, sponsors: Peter Rousch and wife) was recorded in the personal journal of the Rev. John Casper Stoever as the son of Jacob Bentz, Swatara (the DAR record that he was born 20 Dec 1730 is in error as he was only just coming of age about 1762); died - Feb 1800 [1806 deed record] at Cub Run, Rockingham Co VA; married Catherine Persinger about - Feb 1763 in Augusta Co (after her father and his stepfather Jacob Persinger brought suit for breach of promise).
12 GEORGE PENCE was no doubt the John George Bentz, son of Jacob Bentz, Swatara, whose birth on 9 Apr 1743 (baptized 23 May 1743, spnosors: John George Kuntz and wife) was recorded in the personal journal of the Rev. John Casper Stoever (some say George was born at sea in 1737, but this appears impossible as neither he nor his older brother were of age when their father wrote his will in 1750); died 19 Dec 1816 (other dates given, including especially 1819) Sullivan Co TN; married (1) Sarah Perkey about 1764 (before 18 Aug 1764 when they were sponsors at a baptism) probably in Augusta Co VA, (2) Margaret Carpenter (alias Zimmerman) 12 Oct 1782 Rockingham Co VA; he was a captain in the Revolution; moved to Sullivan Co about 1812; may have been in Orange Co earlier.
13 WILLIAM PENCE was born about 1745 possibly in Lancaster Co PA; died before 20 Jul 1819 (will filed in Rockingham Co); married Elizabeth _____ abpit 1774 (probably Price or Breis; she died 24 Aug 1835 in Preble Co OH).
14 JOHN PENCE was born about 1747 in Augusta Co VA; died 10 Jun 1826 Shelby Co KY; married (1) Margaret Perkey about 1768 in VA, (2) Barbara Zimmerman (alias Carpenter) 10 Jan 1783 Rockingham Co VA; moved to Shelby Co about 1811 after having lived in Orange Co VA.
15 BARBARA PENCE was possibly the Maria Barbara Bentz recorded, along with John Jacob and John George (above) as being born 29 Oct 1740 (baptized 26 Mar 1741, sponsor: Maria Elizabetha Borst) as recorded in the personal journal of the Rev. John Casper Stoever (this, however, is contradicted by an Augusta Co VA court rectord that would put her birth in about 1748); married Christopher (Christian) Persinger (her stepbrother) 14 Nov 1768 Botetourt Co VA; to OH and IL; son of Jacob; a John Christian Persinger was born 8 Jan 1742, baptised Christ (Little Tulpehoeken) Church, Jefferson Twp, Berks Co PA (then a part of Lancaster Co).
Help fund new features!