Facts and Events
Jacob Pence, Jr. was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 795.--19th March, 1765. Jacob Pence, eldest son and heir-at-law of Jacob Pence, late of Augusta, deceased, and Adam Pence, ditto of Valentine Pence, ditto to Jacob Nicholas. Whereas Jacob, Sr., and Valentine owned in common 164 acres near the Peeked Mountain, the patent being issued in the name of Jacob. Jacob Nicholas purchased Valentine's moiety, but before title was made Jacob devised the whole to Valentine to enable him to make conveyance to said Jacob Nicholas and to Adam Hetrick, who had bought Jacob Pence's half. Valentine died without making conveyance, and Nicholas brought suit in chancery and the grantors here were decreed, on 21st August, 1762, within three months after they come of age, to make conveyance, £14, 75 acres, part of 164 acres, patented to Jacob, 20th August, 1747, at end of Peaked Mountain; Jacob Nicholas's field, corner land formerly John Lawrence's. Delivered: Col. Jno. Rusk.
- Page 798.--16th March, 1765. Jacob ( ) Pence, eldest son, &c., of Jacob Pence, to Adam Hetrick, yeoman, £22, 89 acres, part of 164 acres patented to Jacob Pence, father of grantor; corner land formerly Jno. Lawrence's; corner Jacob Nicholas. Delivered: Adam Hetrick, July, 1767.
- Page 342.-- 18th March, 1769. George Pence to Jacob Pence. Jacob Pence and Valentine Pence together purchased a tract from Stoval Francisco and Jacob Pence died before title was made and by will devises his part to Jacob and George Pence, his sons, but after his father's death, Valentine Pence obtained title in his own name and dies and devises that moiety to Jacob Pence, brother to George, that their father never got title to during his lifetime. Now George, 20 shillings, conveys to Jacob all his part. Delivered: Henry Pence, son of Jacob, 18th March, 1805.
- Page 169.--16th March, 1772. Jacob ( ) Argen(Archen)bright and Susannah ( ) to Henry Sturtsnocker, £33.10, 126 acres between Cub Run and the Peaked Mountain patented to Philip Haws 14th February, 1761, and by him conveyed to Jacob Parsenger 17th June, 1762, and by him to grantor here 20th November, 1764; corner Nicholas Trout; corner Jacob Pence. Teste: Samuel and James Craig, Jacob Nicolas, Valentine Lioninger. Not delivered.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 344.--21st August, 1776. Jacob Pence and Kathorine to Adam Pence, on both sides of Cub Run where he lives.
Records of Jacob Pence, Jr. in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 311.--17th May. 1759. Samuel Scott's estate settlement, by Robert Scott and Robert Hooks, executors. Paid Thos. Stevenson, Christopher Zimmerman, Robt. McFarson, David Nelson, Henry Downs, Saml. Wilkins, Wm. Craig, Wm. Snodon, Margaret Fowler, William Jordan, Jno. Vought, Patrick Cain, Doctor Harrison, Hugh Thompson, Jonathan Gibson, Jas. Beard; 1 coffin for Samuel Scott; 1 coffin for George Scott; keeping 3 negroes one year, nine months, bv R. Scott. Vendue to, viz: David Crighton, Jno. Paul Fought, David Logan, Jas. Underwood, James Berkley, widow McDonald, Patrick Quin. Joseph Kinkade, John Love, Bernard Man, Jacob Pence, John Wilkins, Ann Scott.
- Page 900.--18th March, 1765. Henry Long and Catrina ( ) to George Fridley, £20, 120 acres between Picked Mountain and Shenandore River, part of 250 acres patented to Henry, 20th August, 1760; Jacob Hannon's line, corner Peter (?) Miller's land. Delivered: Jacob Pence, 16th April, 1779.
- Page 223.--18th September, 1768. Henry Long and Catharine ( ) to Jacob Arkinbright, £31.10, 125 acres, remainder of 250 acres patented 12th August, 1760, to said Henry, the other moiety being sold to George Fridley, on a branch between the Peaked Mountain and Shanandoah River. Teste: Adam Pence, Jacob Pence, John Archenbright. Delivered: Jacob Archembright, August, 1769.
Information on Jacob Pence
From research conducted and compiled by the late Richard A. Pence of Fairfax, Virginia:
11 JACOB PENCE was no doubt the John Jacob Bentz, son of Jacob Bentz, whose birth on 3 Feb 1739 (baptized 15 Apr 1739, sponsors: Peter Rousch and wife) was recorded in the personal journal of the Rev. John Casper Stoever as the son of Jacob Bentz, Swatara (the DAR record that he was born 20 Dec 1730 is in error as he was only just coming of age about 1762); died - Feb 1800 [1806 deed record] at Cub Run, Rockingham Co VA; married Catherine Persinger about - Feb 1763 Augusta Co (after her father and his stepfather Jacob Persinger brought suit for breach of promise). Children:
111 ANNA MARIA PENCE was born 28 Feb 1763 in Augusta Co VA, baptized 3 Aug 1763 (Peaked Mountain Church); probably died young, as no mention is made of her in estate settlements.
112 GEORGE PENCE was born 18 Aug 1764 Augusta Co VA; died 11 Jun 1824 in Springboro, Warren Co OH; married (1) Anna Elizabeth Nicholas 9 Sep 1796 in Rockingham Co VA (she was born 4 Jan 1774 in Augusta Co, died 6 Oct 1806 in Rockingham Co VA, daughter of John Jacob Nicholas and Anna Barbara Zeller), married (2) Elizabeth _____, who as Elizabeth Sour gave consent 29 Aug 1829 Warren Co for her daughter Louisa Jane to marry, with Jacob and Nicholas Pence as witnesses; he likely was the one who had land dealings in Greenbrier Co WV (now, then VA) as early as 1791; he is described as "late of Boutetort Co" VA in 13 Apr 1818 Warren Co deed.
113 ELIZABETH PENCE was born in 1766 in Augusta Co VA; married Jacob Leigh 23 Jul 1788 in Rockingham Co VA.
114 JOHN PENCE was born about 1768 in Augusta Co VA; possibly married Mary Ervin 6 Oct 1796 in Rockingham Co VA.
115 JACOB PENCE was born about 1769 in Augusta Co VA; died in 1819 in Monroe Co WV (will proved 19 Dec 1820 in Monroe Co), buried Pence Cemetery, Union, Monroe Co; married Elizabeth Tresler 15 Apr or 26 Jun 1799 Botetourt Co VA (she was born - Jun 1780 probably in Rockingham Co, died 13 Mar 1865 Indian Creek, Monroe Co, age 85, daughter of Henry Tresler (Dressler) and Maria Catarina _____). He bought land in Bath Co VA (now in Alleghany Co) in Jul 1805 and sold it in Aug 1818 when he moved to Monroe Co, where he purchased land from Isaac Estill in 1817.
116 CATHERINE PENCE was born about 1772 in Augusta Co VA; married Adam Trobaugh 3 Dec 1799 Rockingham Co VA; to IN, then TN.
117 HENRY PENCE was born about 1775 in Augusta Co VA; died in 1836 in Rockingham Co VA (see also No. 23); married Margaret (Rebecca) Dundore 10 Nov 1800 Rockingham Co.
118 PETER PENCE was born in 1777 in Augusta Co VA; died - Sep 1849(?) Alleghany Co VA; married Elizabeth Hinton 30 Oct 1801 Rockingham Co VA (daughter of James Hinton); no doubt the Peter in Botetourt Co in the 1810 census, there in 1813 as he was surety for the marriage bond of Mary Hinton, not of age, daughter of James Hinton of KY, and Joseph Holloway Haynes on 12 Aug 1813, with John Pence as witness. In 1810 he was age 26-45, wife also 26-45; 1 male 16-26, 1 female 10-16; in 1820 he is 26-45; wife is also, 2 males are 16-26; no Peter listed in 1830; in 1840 he was in Allegheny Co, age 60-70 and in his household were 1 female 20-30 and 2 boys under 5; possibly a second wife or these were a daughter and grandchildren. The 1850 mortality schedule for Alleghany Co says a Peter Pence, age 61, died in Sep of a three-week bout with consumption and that he was married and born in VA.
119 WILLIAM PENCE was born about 1780 in Rockingham Co VA; probably the one who married (1) Eliza Hoover 13 Mar 1806 in Greenbrier Co WV, (2) Margaret (Peggy) Wheeler 19 Dec 1811 Greenbrier Co; on 22 Ju l 1811 he bought 200 acres on the waters of Muddy Creek, which he sold in 1817; no further record.
11A ADAM PENCE was born about 1781 in Rockingham Co VA; probably the one who married Catherine Sellers 15 Aug 1808 Rockingham Co VA. The papers of Maj. William Perry Pence say he died in Rockingham Co in 1814-1815 while serving in the War of 1812. Henry Sipe gave bond as administrator of Adam Pence's estate 21 Sep 1815 Rockingham Co. Jacob Nicholas was named guardian of Jacob, Elizabeth, Margaret and Ann Pence, orphans of Adam, on 5 Mar 1827 in Rockingham Co. See No. 217 for the possibility this Adam may be the son of Adam Pence.
11B SUSANNA PENCE was born about 1784 in Rockingham Co VA; married Jacob Butt 24 Nov 1806 in Rockingham Co.
11C CHARLES PERSINGER PENCE was born 21 Oct 1786 Rockingham Co VA; died 27 Aug 1861 in Clinton Co IN; married (1) Mary Dundore 10 Dec 1808 Rockingham Co, (2) Anna (Roof) Hoffman 3 Apr 1816 in Shenandoah Co VA (she married (1) Christian Hoffman 7 Oct 1812 Shenandoah Co), (3) Sarah (Pence) Kyger 16 Jan 1840 (license dated 11 Jan) Delaware Co IN.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Stoever, John Casper, and Elizabeth P. (Elizabeth Petty) Bentley. Early Lutheran baptisms and marriages in southeastern Pennsylvania: the records of Rev. John Casper Stoever from 1730 to 1779. (Baltimore [Maryland]: Genealogical Pub. Co., c1982, 1998), pg. 15.
Bentz, John Jacob - b. Feb. 3, 1739; bap. April 15, 1739. Sponsors - Peter Rousch and wife.
Help fund new features!