Jacob Moyer, of Naked Creek, Rockingham County, VA
Facts and Events
Jacob Moyer was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants:
- K-444: Jacob Moyer of Augusta County, 400 acres on Mill Creek in Frederick Co. Surv. Mr. Robert Rutherford. 3 June 1762. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, Gertrude E. Gray, pg. 134].
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 215.--12th May, 1762. Charles Crosson and Christina (signed Corous, Croson) to Jacob Mayer, £70, 380 acres on east side of Shanadore on Naked Creek. Teste: Augustin ( ) Price. Henery ( ) Price, Thomas Burk. Delivered: Jacob Maver, March, 1770.
- Jacob Moyer and Jacob Bear/Bair patented 276 acres on the Shenandoah River on 20 July 1768, as listed in the disposition below:
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 287.--17th August, 1771. Jacob Bair (Bear) and Barbara Miller ( ) Bear, his wife, and Jacob Mayer (Moyer, Meirs) and Christenah ( ) to Mishae) and George Huffman, £64, 276 acres on Shanando River, patented to Jacob Moyer and Jacob Bair, 20th July, 1768, Daniel Link's line. Teste: Daniel Link, Thos. Slaughter, Robert Slaughter, Jr. Delivered: Geo. Huston. (Note: this appears to be a transaction between multiple parties (Jacob Bear and Jacob Moyer), likely selling land to George Huffman).
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 501.--18th March, 1767, recorded. Valentine Pence's estate to Peter Miller, executor--Paid Henry Long, who married one of Valentine's daughters, her legacy; paid Jacob and Adam Pence, their legacies; paid Jacob Nicholas as exla of Mathew Sharpe. Received from Conrad Peterfish, Jno. Counts, Christian Teter, Jacob Moyer, Christopher Reisling, Nicholas Null.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 24, 1769. - (119) Witnesses: Jaob Moyer, Windlw Evert, Christiania Evert.
- Page 82.-- --A copy and translation of the will of Adam Reader, deceased, April 18th, 1773--To wife and true helpmate; to son, Mathias Reader; to son, George Reader; to son, Anthony Reader; to son, Adam Reader; to 3 daughters. Deed to be made for land sold to Nicholas Carn. Abram Bird and testator's son Adam shall pay £20 that they received from Jacob Hite in the name of my daughter Elizabeth, which is to be shared between her 3 children. Teste: Jacob Cepliner, Anthony Reader, Jacob Mire (Mover). 18th May, 1773--Translation proved by Jacob Moyer and will proved by Jacob Moyer and Jacob Kiplenger. Adam Reader qualified with Jacob Trumbo, Jacob Bear, Abraham Bird.
- Page 278.--8th May, 1773. Conrad Bloze's will--To wife, Mary Catrine; to son, John Adam; to son, George Jacob; to wife, Valentine; to daughter, Eve Elizabeth. Executors, Jacob Mayer. Teste: Adam (mark) Hetrick, Archibald Huston, Rebeka Huston. Proved, 15th November, 1774, by Hetrick. Archibald and Rebecca are dead. Jacob Mayer refuses to execute. *Administration granted Mary Catherine, who qualifies with Anthony Ealer, Alvamous Bowyer, Jacob (mark) Bowyer.
- Page 153.--1st September, 1773. The will of John Bender literally translated--To dear father and mother; to wife, Catharine; to sister, Margaret; to three sisters. Teste: John Bear, Adam Rader, Conrad Holle Proved, 16th November, 1773. This will of John Bender, alias Painter, proved by Jacob Mayer to be a true translation, and by Bear and Holle. Administration granted Catharine Painter, who qualifies (mark) with John Bear, Nicholas Keern, Christian Painter.
- Page 251.--14th May, 1774. Mathias Rodes' will--To son, Mathias; to wife, Barbara; to children. (Copy from the original--a very bad translation of German.) Teste: Jacob Mayer, Nicholas Kern. Valentine Cloninger testifies to correctness of translation. 16th August, 1774, proved by witnesses.
- Page 219.--Andrew Hudlow and Mary ( ), of Frederick County, at a place called the Forest, between Jacob Sword's land and Fairfax's line; Michael Niece's line. Delivered: Jacob Moyle, August Court, 1774.
Information on Jacob Moyer
From Rootsweb.com post:
"In Virginia, George Jacob Moyer (1720-99) and his wife, Christena Ebert, settled on Naked Creek, Rockingham Co. Their children were Philip (m. Catherine Miller), Mary Margaret (m. John Stephen Conrad Jr.), Anna Maria (m. Daniel Baugherr), George Jacob Jr. (m. Catherine Bloss and Barbara Bloss), Michael, Henry (m. Mary Earrey/Arey), Christena, and Barbara Ann (m. Marcus Alder). Descendants settled in Montgomery and Darke Cos., OH, and Indiana; many became Brethren.