Facts and Events
Jacob Hammer was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 344.--16th August, 1768. George ( ) Null and Barbara to Jacob Hamor (or Hammer), £30, 90 acres on Boon's Run, a branch of Shanandore River, patented to Nicholas Null, 15th August, 1764, and descended to George as eldest son and heir; corner Tack's land, Charles Foy's line. Teste: Daniel Smith, Thomas ( ) Burk, Jacob Nicholas, Robert Shanklin (Certified by A. McClenachan, C. A. C., for John Madison, late C. A. C. This is the first, 23d March, 1769). Delivered: Henry Hammer, 30th June, 1792.
Processioning List of 1767/68
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 446.--1767-68: Processioned by John Coutts and John Miller, viz: For John Miller, for John Fudge, for John Munge (Conrad Fudge present), for Geo. Hufman, for Geo. Gunrod, for Henry Dick, for Peter Brunemer, for Henry Lung, for Francis Kirtley, for Christopher Cisling, for Boston Nester, for Jerod Peterfish, for Stephen Hanceberry, for John Sellers, for Jacob Runkle, for Nicholas Null, for Charles Fie, for Daniel Link, for Daniel Price, for David McComis, for John Burk, for Mathias Cersh, for Jacob Hammer.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- 2 July 1762, Baptism at Peaked Mountain Church - Anna Maria Hammer, daughter of Jacob Hammer and wife Fredericka Rosina, nee Leuthmanns Leonhard. Baptized by Rev. I. C. Van Gemuenden. Sponsors Gottfried Christian Leuthmanns Leonhardt, the Lutheran schoolmaster and wife Anna Maria. [Source: Record of the Peaked Mountain Church, Rockingham County, Virginia, edited by Prof. Wm. J. Hinke and Charles F. Kemper].
- Page 280.--11th September, 1768. Henry Seller to Adam Seller, £60, 168 acres patented to Henry, 1st June, 1750. on Shanando, Philip Long's land; corner Peter Sellers'; also 205 acres patented to Henry, 30th August, 1763, between Peaked Mountain and Shanando River; corner Stephen Hemsberger. Teste: John Seller, Daniel ( ) Price, Jacob Hammer.
- Page 538.--4th September, 1777. Philip Lingle's estate sold at vendue, to, viz--John Peters, Peter Coker, James Madey, Thomas Doolin, Jacob Hamer, Wm. Ludspicke, Peter Bronomer (Brunemer?), Henry Trusler, Augustine Price, Jr., Barbara Lingle, Bartholomew Aulter (Antler), Ab. Rew, Christian Teder, John Fudge.
Help fund new features!