Facts and Events
Isaac McCullough was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Isaac McCullough's land (Beverley Manor SW, 230 acres, 1741) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 252-255. 24-25 Sept. 1741. William Beverley, Esq., of Essex County to Isaac McCulluck of Orange County. Lease and release for ₤6.15. - current money. 230 acres in Beverley Mannor... on a ridge corner to the Christies.. James Caldwell's corner... John Davidson's [Davison's] line... (signed) W. Beverley. Wit: Francis Beaty, John Bohannan, James Fulton. 25 Sept. 1741. Acknowledged by Wm. Beverley, Esq. [Orange County Deed Book 6, pg. 32].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 74.--21st September, 1748. Isaac McCullagh to John Coulter, 230 acres in Beverley Manor; corner ye Christians, James Caldwell, John Davidson. Teste: Wm. Henderson, Thos. Gordon, Margaret, wife of Isaac.
Processioning List of 1747/8
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 19.--Robert Christian and James Caldwell report, viz: 1747-8, 24th February, processioned for Arthur Hamilton; processioned for James Moody, present Robert Wilson; processioned for James Wilson; 26th February, processioned for Andrew Cowan, present Robert Wilson; processioned for James Caldwell, present John and William Caldwell; 27th February, processioned for James Armstrong, present John and William Caldwell; 28th February, processioned for James Armstrong, present Wm. Armstrong and John Davison; 1st March, processioned for Isaac McCully; processioned for Wm. Long, present John Long; 2d March, processioned for James Bell, present Gabriel Alexander; 3d March, processioned for James Alexander; processioned for Thomas Black, present Wm. Johnson; 4th March, processioned for Robert Cunningham; processioned for Wm. Henderson, present, Thomas Black; processioned for Geo. Rutlidge, present Wm. Henderson; 6th March, processioned for Geo. Caldwell, present Wm. Caldwell and Wm. Henderson; processioned for John, Robert, William Christian; 10th March, processioned for Thos. Stewart, present James and John Black. 8th March, 1747-8, Edward Hall's land not processioned, there being a dispute between the said Hall and Col. Patton, not at home.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - List of Musters - No. 5 - Capt. John Christian's List: John Christian, Captain; William Christian, Lieutenant; Fran Betty, Ensign; Jhn. Holms, Josep Read, Finley McClewr, George Camble, George Caldwell, Wm. Caldwell, Alex. Thompson, Jas. Caldwell, Isaac McCulough, Jas. Armstrong, Wm. Armstrong, Thos. Henderson, Wm. Henderson, Rob Conigham, Wm. Conigham, Thos. Black, Wm. Johnston, Joh Davison, And. Cowin, Jas. Moody, Jas. Willson, Niol. Leeper, Jno. Turk, Wm. Adams, David Mitchel, Rob. Ramsey, George Breakinsed, John Mitchel, Jas. Fulton, John Fulton, John Brownlee, Chas. Camble, Jas. Camble, Will Camble, Jno. Buchanan, Nathan McClewer, Jas. Robinson, Antho Black, Will Long, Thos. Bell, Jas. Bell, Jno. Black, Wm. Robinson, Thos. Shields, And. McCord, Thos. Beans, Arth. Hamilton, And. Scott, John Maxwell, Pat. Barney, Alex. Brackinsedg, Rob. Brackinsedg, James Brackinsedg, _____ McCoulough, Jas. Miler, Rob. McClenachan, Jno. Doacke, Sam Doacke, Patt Hayes, And. Boyd, Jas. Black, Alex. Fordice, David Steel, Moses Thompson, John Thompson, And. Russell, Rand McDonel, Hug Martine, Joh Robinson, Jas. Beans, Rob. Alexander, Ths. Lewis.
Information on Isaac McCullough
- ID: I10156
- Name: Isaac MCCULLOCH
- Sex: M
- Birth: 1701 in Ireland or Scotland
- Death: 1780 in Lancaster Co., South Carolina
- Marriage 1 Margaret ROBINSON b: 1718
- Mary MCCULLOCH
- William MCCULLOCH b: BEF. 1740
- John MCCULLOCH b: 1741 in Augusta Co., Virginia
- Jennett MCCULLOCH b: 1743 in Augusta Co., Virginia
- James MCCULLOCH b: 1745 in Augusta Co., Virginia
- Joseph MCCULLOCH b: 1 SEP 1747 in Augusta Co., Virginia
From rootsweb.com post:
From: "James McCulloch" <james38@@provide.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 01:43:20 -0400
Seeking information on an Isaac McCulloch, born in 1701 in Antrim, died 1780 in Waxhaws, South Carolina. His father is said to be named John. I descend from his son John Milton McCulloh, born 1741 in Augusta County, Virginia, died 1816 in Mathews, Meckenburg County, North Carolina. Any assistance or information would be appreciated.
James William McCulloch, II
Ann Arbor, Michigan
From Maxwell History and Genealogy By Florence Amelia Wilson Houston, pg. 373:
Augusta Co., Va., Deeds Liber. 2, page 73. Sept. 20, 1748. Isaac
McCullah to John Coulter, for five shillings, 230 acres in Beverly Mano
in Orange County.