Facts and Events
Isaac Anderson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Isaac Anderson's land (Borden Tract SW, 3350 acres, 1756) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 332.--17th August, 1756. Jacob ( ) Anderson and Esther to Isaac Anderson, £9, 350 acres. (Note: although the Hildebrand Map shows Isaac Anderson as the original patentee in 1750, Chalkley's records show that his brother Jacob Anderson was originally conveyed the patent in 1750 (apparently because Isaac was not "of age" yet in 1750), who then sold it to his younger brother, Isaac).
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 385.--15th February, 1765: Reported by Andw. Hall, Jas. Buchanan, viz: For John McCroskey, for Alex. Telford, for Rev. Jno. Brown, for William Patton, for Cap. Saml. McDowell, for James Greenlee, deceased; for Jno. Lyle, deceased; for David McCroskey, for Saml. Dunlap, for Jacob Anderson, for Andrew Hays, for Robt. Allison, for James Buchanan, for Andw. Buchanan, for Wm. Davies, for Wm. Berry, for James McKees, for Wm. Lusk, for Edward Tarr, for James McLang, for Henry McLang, for Isaac Anderson, for John Buntin, for William Young, for James Anderson, for James Thompson, for John Allison; for Alex. McCroskey, Jas. Duncan present; for Saml. Robinson, for Andw. Fitzpatrick.
- Page 363.--21st August, 1747. Benj. Borden, &c., to John McCroskey (sold in testator's lifetime); 306 acres, £9.9.2, part of 92,100, &c., on North Fork of the Creek; corner to William Buchanan; Isaac Anderson's line; James McDowell's land. Teste: Jno. Buchanan, Benj. Johnston, James McDowell. Acknowledgement, 21st August, 1747.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1750 (B). - Isaac Anderson vs. Benjamin Borden.--Chancery, Writ dated 25th August, 1746. In 1741, orator bought land of Benjamin Borden, Sr., and now sues for title.
- Page 813.--29th August, 1750. Benj. Borden to Wm. Buchanan, 480 acres; corner John McCroskey and Isaac Anderson. Teste: John Buchanan.
- Page 40.--28th November, 1750. Same (From Borden, etc.) to Alexander McCoskery, 200 acres; corner Wm. Buchanan and Isaac Anderson.
- Page 129.--4th January, 1754. John McCoskery, Sr., to David McCoskery, 300 acres conveyed by Borden to John 21st August, 1747. Cor. Wm. Buchanan, Isaac Anderson's line on Back Creek.
- Page 276.--6th May, 1758. John McCroskry's (signed Coskry) will, planter--To wife Elizabeth, Thomas Hill's bond; to daughter Elizabeth; to son James, 10 shillings; to son William, 10 shillings; to son John, 10 shillings; to son-in-law, William Caruthers; to son-in-law Saml. Huston; to son Alex. McCroskry, 10 shillings; to son Samuel, 10 shillings; to son David, 10 shillings; to son-in-law James Hope, 10 shillings; to granddaughter Margaret Hope and her two brothers; Saml. and David to pay the bonds assigned to James and William in case they lose not their lands by the enemy; Robert and Alexander Tedford's bonds to pay Margaret Hope; James and Isaac Anderson's bond to be divided between sons and daughters. Executors, son Samuel. Andrew Hays, Alex. Miller. Teste: James Moore, Jno. Maskamell, Alex. McCroskry. Proved, 15th November, 1758, by Moore and McCroskry. McCroskry and Miller qualified (the other not appearing), with Samuel Huston, John Cunningham.
- Page 372.--15th May, 1759. James Lee's appraisement, by Alexander Walker, Jacob Anderson, Isaac Anderson.
- Page 154.--20th May, 1762. Settlement of Stophel White's estate by Jacob Anderson, recorded--Funeral charges, viz: 1 shirt, £1, 0, 0; muslin for a cale, £5, 0; 1 sheet, 5 yds., £17, 6; 7-3/4 gallons liquor, £1, 3, 3; 6 lbs. cheese, £3.9; bords and cofen and nails; £13, 6; 1-1/2 bu. flour (76 lbs.), £7, 3; 6 lbs. for shortening for said bisket, £0, 3, 5; vendue liquor, 2 gals., 1 pt., £6, 4-1/2 Paid James Arbuckle, David Galloway. Stophel White's vendue, sold to viz: David Drein, Jacob Anderson, Alex. Miller. Isaac Anderson, Marion Crawford, Alex. Telford, David Dryden, Baptist McNabb, David Telford.
- Page 266.--22d June, 1763. William Buchanan's appraisement (by Jas. McCampbell, Isaac and Jacob Anderson) approved and recorded--One mill, £28; sundry books; Robt. Allison's bond; judgment vs. Wm. Burk and Richd. Burtain.
- Page 28.--2d October, 1766. Same to Andrew Hays, £20, 100 acres, part of 92100, beginning on Back Creek in John McCoskry's line, corner Isaac Anderson; John Buntin's corner. Delivered: Robert Risk per order, 20th December, 1773.
- Page 59.--17th October, 1769. Thomas Paxton and Rebekah ( ) to James McDowell, Samuel McDowell and James Cowdon, £52, 378 acres, part of Borden's 92,100; Alexander Telford's line; corner James McCampbell. Teste: Isaac Anderson, James McCampbell, Alexander Sinclair. James Robinson. Delivered: Samuel McDowell, 17th August, 1772.
- Vol. 2 - Page ___-- Isaac Anderson, of Knox County, Tennessee, deposes, at Knoxville, 23d October, 1806. He knew Solomon Moffett when he lived on Moffett's Creek. One _____ Patterson was agent for Borden, senior, from whom Solomon bought. Deponent moved into the neighborhood 65 years ago, and Solomon had bought before that time. Deponent lived 60 years near the land. Will be 77 next March. (Note: this verifies Isaac Anderson's birthdate of March, 1730).
Help fund new features!