Facts and Events
Hugh Nelson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 15, 1780. - (266) Hugh Nelson bound to peace on complaint of Henry Peachman.
- Vol. 2 - 1782 - Supernumeraries: Sam'l Black, Maurus Ofriel, Arch. Dickson, Jno. Atkins, Robert Scott, Wm. Rodgers, Hugh Nelson, Jas. Cunningham, Thos. Scott, Jno. Stuart, Alex. McKinney.
- Page 360.-(undated, abt. 1786)-Teste: Robert Harnsberger. Hugh Nelson.
- Vol. 2 - JUDGMENTS - APRIL, 1791 (I to Z). Hugh Nelson vs. William Palmer--Debt. Augusta, 22d March, 1790.
- Vol. 2 - JUDGMENTS. SEPTEMBER, 1793 (G to Z). - Hugh Nelson vs. William Palmer, Sr.--Case. Augusta, 5th April, 1792.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1794. - Hugh Nelson vs. James Spence.--In 1785. Orator bought from defendant 130 acres, giving note for purchase money, afore which defendant sued and got judgment without making title. Bill to enjoin judgment until title made.
- Page 119.--15th January, 1807. Alexander Scott's will--To brothers, John and Andrew, all carpenter shop tools; to brother, Thomas; brother, William; to Hugh Nelson, who married my sister Mary; to sisters, Catherine, Elizabeth, Rebecca Scott; to brother, Thomas, lot 57 in Chilicothe, bought of Nathaniel Massie. Executors, brothers John and Thomas. Teste: Joseph Wright. John B. Moses. Proved, 23d March, 1807. Executors qualify.
Information on Hugh Nelson
From Rootsweb Message Board:
From: "Harold Morgan" <email@example.com>
Subject: [HARRELL] Parentage of Esther Nelson Harrold, wife of Jonathan
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 17:42:35 -0700
I have found the parents of Esther Nelson HARROLD, wife of Jonathan HARROLD of Greene County, TN thanks to a clue furnished by G. Lee Hearl, the list coordinator.
Esther was the daughter of Hugh NELSON and Mary SCOTT both originally of Augusta County, Virginia.
Hugh and Mary NELSON had three known children; Esther, William, and Thomas.
Mary SCOTT, wife of Hugh NELSON, was the daughter of Thomas SCOTT of Augusta County, VA. At this time, I do not know his wife's name. There were nine children in the family.
I have copies of a will and land records which prove the connection and will gladly send copies to anyone interested in this line.
"A" Hugh Nelson had property on the north side of the Nolichucky River in the 1790's on Big Limestone Creek.
Hope this will help anyone tracing the Jonathan HARROLD line.
Help fund new features!