Facts and Events
- Records for Hugh Hays in Chalkley's Chronicles
- Person:Hugh Hays (1) The immigrant
Hugh Hays' land (Borden Tract NE, 255 acres (shown as 254 acres on Hildebrand Map), acquired from William Hays in 1763. (William Hays had previously acquired this tract from Patrick Hays in 1759), as shown on the Beverley Manor map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Hugh Hays' land (Borden Tract NE, 255 acres (shown as 254 acres on Hildebrand Map), acquired from William Hays in 1763. (William Hays had previously acquired this tract from Patrick Hays in 1759), as shown on the Borden Tract map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 385.--17th September, 1763. William Hays and Frances to Hugh Hayes, £98, 255 acres on line of Beverley Manor and Borden's tract; corner Patrick Hayes; corner Dunlap. Delivered: Francis Smith, 1st October, 1767. Teste: John McMahon, Thomas Hill, James ( ) Telford.
- Page 60.--20th August, 1765. Patrick Hays and Frances to Hugh Hays, £100, 400 acres corner Robert Alexander, Halfway Creek. Teste: John Taylor Wm. Robertson, Robert Alexander. Delivered: Francis Smith, 1st October, 1767.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 102.--20th August, 1765. Hugh Hays and Mary to William Walker, £73.16, 176 acres in Beverley Manor; corner said Hays, Henry's line, Henry's and Purris's line. Teste: Mathew Huston, James Henry, John Weir. Delivered: Wm. Walker, August, 1767.
- Page 209.--15th March, 1774. Hugh Hays and Mary to William Pollock. Teste: James Henry, Patrick Hay, William Moore.
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- 190.--17th November, 1759. Patrick Hays and Frank (Frances) to Wm. Hays £100, 255 acres on both sides of patent line of Beverley Manor and Burden's great tract, part of 854 acres held by patent of Beverley and Borden; corner Dunlape. Teste: Samuel Gallt, Hugh Hays.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County - Apr 28, 1763 Hugh Hays and --- ---- , license only; [acm,10 6]
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER, 1764 (A). - Allison vs. Hays-- Hugh Hays to Charles Allison. Bond 31st December. 1763. Witness: Alexander Greer.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 20, 1765. - (437) Commission for private examination of Mary, wife of Hugh Hays.
- Page 261.--1st November, 1766. John Davis, of Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, to James Davis, of Augusta County, power of attorney to collect all sums of money due John in Augusta County, and to convey to purchasers all tracts of land belonging to John. Teste: Joseph Davis, Hugh Hays.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1767 (C). - Thompson vs. Hays.--John Thompson, Hugh Hays.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 22, 1767. - (258) Mary and Eve Shaver to be bound to Hugh Hays.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER, 1767 (E). - John Rees, Dr., to Hugh Hayes.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 17, 1767. - (341) Grand jurors: Nathanl. Evans, Joseph Raburn, Saml. McPheeters, Francis Erwin, Robt. Thompson, Henry Stone, James McCain, John Ramsey, Archibald Fisher, John White, Henry Campbell, Saml. Briggs, Richd. Renalds, Hugh Hays, Joseph Malcolm, David Laird, John Francis, John Black, James Leatherdale, John McClure, Hugh Donaho.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 17, 1768. - (326) Hugh Hays imprisoned for debt. (Note: this may have precipitated Hugh Hays' move back to Lancaster County, PA).
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1769 (A). - David Looney vs. Wm. Crow, John Stewat, James Cowden, Hugh Hays and James Huston.--Stewart arrested, August, 1767.
- Page 123.--19th October, 1779. Patrick Hays, brother of Hugh Hays, deceased, late of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, to James Buchanan, all his interest in estate of Hugh, deceased, in Pennsylvania, or of his daughter Margaret (deceased ?). (Note: this establishes that Hugh died in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania prior to this date).
- Page 124.--19th October, 1779. Hugh Hays, of Augusta, son of, Patrick Hays and nephew of Hugh Hays, late of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, deceased, to James Buchanan. Similar to above.
Name: Hugh Hays
Birth: BET 1707 AND 1708 in County Donegal, Ireland
Death: BEF OCT 1779 in Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania
Event: Tax List 1751 Assessment List of Londonderry Township, Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania.
Will: 24 MAY 1777 Wife: Mary, Children: Margaret, Brother: Patrick, Sisters: (unknown given names) Buchanan & Morrison; Probated 4 May 1779, Londonderry Twp., Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania. [Index to Will Books & Intestate Records, Lancaster Co., Pennsylvaia, 1729-1850]
Father: Unknown (Elder?) Hays b: ABT 1680 in Ireland
Marriage 1 Mary Greenlee
Married: 1763 in Pennsylvania or Virginia?
Margaret Hays b: BET 1763 AND 1777 in Pennsylvania or Virginia?
- ↑ .