Facts and Events
Hugh Carothers was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Augusta County, VA
- Hugh Carothers acquired at least 544 acres on James River at Looney's Mill Creek, before 1760, which were disposed in the following transactions:
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 343.--27th February, 1760. Hugh Carothers, of Orange County, North Carolina, to Margaret Clerk, £35, 158 acres on James River, on Loonie's Creek; corner Robt. Sloan's. Teste: David Luney. Delivered: Benjamin Estill, December, 1761.
- Page 359.--March, 1760. Hugh Carothers by Jno. Buchanan by power attorney, p. 348, supra., to Margaret Clerk, £12, 86 acres on a branch of James River; corner James Louderdale.
- Page 520.--18th August, 1761. Hugh Corruthers, of Orange County, North Carolina, by James Ledderdale, to Andrew McNeilly, £25, 300 acres on a branch of Lunie's Mill Creek. Delivered: John Buchanan by your order, July 1766.
Will of Hugh Carothers
- Will of Hugh Carothers of Mecklenburg County in the State of North Carolina, being in a low state of health... to my loving wife, her bed and bed clothes, one Black mare & her saddle & two cows of her own choosing, and all the pewter likewise the House I now live in, her spinning wheel if she remains unmarried, but if she marries to have no right to cows or House any longer; my sons John & Robert Carothers & Esther Ross and Sarah P------, deceased all being married & having given them what I allowed them; I now allow each of them one crown sterling; to my son James Carothers the land I now live on with the two surveys joining the same & remainder horse creatures & remainder of the cattle after his mother has chosen hers. To my son Hugh Carothers one cow & calf as he married contrary to my will. Wife Sarah Carothers & my son James exrs., 21 July 1782.
- Hugh Carothers (seal)
- Wit: Peter Burns, Robert Campbell, William Scott, jurat
[Will Book A, pg. 207-08, C.R. 065.801.13]
Records of Hugh Carothers in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Muster List of 1742: No. 11 - Capt. George Robinson's List: George Robinson, Captain; James McFeron, Lieutenant; Pat. Shirky, Ensign; James Ranfro, Sergeant; Dan Manaughan, Mark Coal, Peter Ranfro, George Draper, Rob Roland, Edw. Smith, Fran Kelly, And. Ganghagall, Henry Stiles, Hen Philip, Thomas Rindel, Thomas Looney, Rob Looney, Dan Looney, Adam Looney, Mark Joans, John Askins, John Flower, James Coal, Bryan Cass, Cornel Dougherty, Wm. Acres, Tasker Tosh, Hen Brown, Sam Brown, James Burk, Wm. Bean, _____Evins, Sam Martin, Peter Kinder, Stephen Evins, Peter Watkins, Stephen Ranfro, Benj. Davis, Wm. Clark, Wm. Shepherd, Benj. Deeson, John Smith, Hugh Coruthers, Wm. Bradshay, John Coal, Wm. Craven, Simon Acres, Nicol Horseford, _____ Meason.
- Page 203.--17th February, 1758. Colonel James Patton's estate; appraised by Thomas Stewart, John Ramsey, Edward Hall. List of bonds, bills, &c., due the estate: (among many others listed in Chalkley's) - Hugh Caruthers, 6th May, 1754.
- Page 447.--5th November, 1767. Robert Sloan, of Rowan County, N. C., weaver, to Andrew Woods, £40, on Looney's Mill Creek next above, Hugh Carother's land containing 264 acres. Teste: James Young, Samuel ( ) Lindsey, Walter Lindsey, George Gillespie. Delivered: Thos. Madison.
- Page 383.--21st March, 1771. James Patton's settlement of estate recorded--John Buchanan, executor; 1758, 28d April, paid Francis Riely; 1765, 6th June, to putting Ratclif's place into the office where it was tossed, for the estate; 1761, 14th August, cash paid Dr. Thomas Walker for his claim to Burke's Garden; 1761, 26th June, cash paid Zachariah Lewis for his 6th share of the Roanoke and James River Grant, which share is annexed to the estate of Col. Patton; 1761, 27th June, to my third of 182 acres on ye North Fork of Roanoke sokl to James Bryans for £150; 1766, September, to cash paid John Moffett for 170 acres, part of which had been surveyed for and sold to Michael Dougherday by Col. Patton by mistake; 1756--8th September, by cash of Wm. Armstrong (Roanoke); 20th September, Wm. Ralston; 1757--7th February, Wm. Snodgrass; 19th February. John Marshall; 23d April, James Hutton; 13th January, John Stevens; 1758--20th February, Ester Sawyers; 22d April, John Potts; 1759--17th May, Hugh Carruthers; et al.
Help fund new features!