Henry Somerset, 2nd Earl of Worcester
d.26 Nov 1549
Facts and Events
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Henry Somerset, 2nd Earl of Worcester (c. 1496 – 26 November 1549) was an English nobleman, son of Charles Somerset, 1st Earl of Worcester and Elizabeth Herbert, 3rd Baroness Herbert. On his father's death on 15 April 1526, he succeeded as the second Earl of Worcester. From his mother, he inherited the title of Baron Herbert.
He married twice:
- Secondly, before 1527, to Elizabeth Browne, daughter of Anthony Browne, Knt., by Lucy, daughter of John Neville, 1st Marquess of Montagu. Somerset died on 26 November 1549. The children of Henry Somerset and Elizabeth Browne were:
- William Somerset, 3rd Earl of Worcester (d. 21 February 1589). Heir and successor of his father.
- Lady Lucy Somerset (1524- 23 February 1583), who married John Neville, 4th Baron Latimer.
- Francis Somerset, often said to have died at the battle of Pinkie in 1547, but fought at the siege of Leith in 1560, and was Member of Parliament for Monmouthshire, 1557 & 1558.
- Charles Somerset
- Thomas Somerset.
- Lady Anne Somerset (d. 17 October 1596), married Thomas Percy, 7th Earl of Northumberland. Her husband was beheaded on 22 August 1572. They had four daughters and one son (died young).
- Lady Eleanor Somerset, married Henry Johns
- Lady Joan or "Jane" Somerset married Sir Edward Mansel.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Henry Somerset, 2nd Earl of Worcester, in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. (Online: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.).
- Henry Somerset, 2nd Earl of Worcester, in Lundy, Darryl. The Peerage: A genealogical survey of the peerage of Britain as well as the royal families of Europe.