- Henry RiceABT 1580 - 1621
Facts and Events
What relation to emigrating Sudbury Edmund Rice (1638)?
Two theories currently exist for his relationship to the emigrating founder of Sudbury, MA, Edmund Rice:
- He was an older brother of Edmund. (Mary Lovering Holman theorizes this as one possibility (see S2 below).
- He was the father of Edmund, but by a marriage previous to that of Elizabeth Frost. (MLH as well as Source:An interim tracing of the ancestry of Valerie Daly King (1956, p 27) also think this is more probable. (Warning: many LDS IGI records claim erroneously this parentage for Edmund.)
What is clear is that Edmund's mother could not have been Elizabeth Frost, as proven by MLH (S2 below):
- Record of Henry Rice's marriage to Elizabeth Frost in November 1605 at Stanstead.
- Record of the baptism of Edmund's first child on 23 August 1619 at Stanstead.
The probability that Henry was father of Edmund is circumstantially based on the following:
- their presence together in Stanstead, with no other Rice's before or after them in this location;
- the naming of Edmund's first son as Henry.
The location of Henry or Edmund Rice's origins have not been located.
- ↑ Gerald Rice. Rice, Gerald G.. (Rice, Humphrey, Shattuck, Gervais, Beaudette, Angell and allied lines).
- ↑ Holman, Mary Lovering, "English Notes on Edmund Rice", in The American Genealogist. (Demorest, Habersham, Georgia, United States: D.L. Jacobus), 10:133-134.
(Cites parish register Stanstead, Suffolk, England.)
Help fund new features!