Facts and Events
Henry Netherton was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records (unless listed otherwise):
- E-172: Capt. Willoughby Newton of Westmoreland County, 1,049 acres in Prince William County on Great Rocky Cedar Run of Occoquan. Surv. by Mr. James Thomas the Elder. Adj. George Eskridge, Francis Awbrey, Henry Netherton, Maj. Geo. Turberville, George Walker, James Thomas, William Lynton. 18 Sept. 1740. # [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1694-1742, Vol. 1, Gertrude E. Gray, pg. 129].
- Page 269.--25th July, 1750. Abraham Job's will--Wife, Elizabeth; son, Elisha, trustee for the widow, and after her widowhood, equal executor with her; children Rebecca, Isaac (infant), Phoeby, David (infant), Hannah; daughter, Mary McCoy, and her son, Isaac McKay; son Isaac to be bound to James Brown, a hatter; son David to be bound to a saddler in that County which is called West Nottingham. Proved, 27th November, 1750, by Henry Netherton. Elizabeth, the widow, qualified executrix, c. t. a., nuncupative will.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 28, 1750. - (415) James McNeal, Wm. Overall, Josiah Parent, Ephraim Leath, Abraham Ciler, Benjamin Gugar, Steven Philips, John Hawkins, Wm. Jackson, Thomas Dodson, John Little, Bernard Agen, Henry Netherton, Richard Waters, George Leath, John Davis, Robert Boyd, added to list of tithables.
- Page 22.--21st November, 1750. Richard Harrald, planter, to Wm. Harrald, planter 180 acres, Shanandore River; corner John Harrald; corner Moses Harrald. Teste. John Fuich (Funk ?) Jr., Henry Nelson (Netherton), James Macay (McKay).
- Page 25.-(21st November, 1750) - Richard Harrald to John Harrald, planter, 131 acres, Shanandoe River, corner Richard Harrald, Jr. Teste: Henry Netherton, James McKay. See above.
- Page 348.-28th May, 1751. Abraham Job's appraisement, by Henry Netherton, James McCoy, Frederick Frailey.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 28, 1751. - (580) Henry Netherton, servant of John Stevenson. (Note: this is most likely Henry's young son).
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 26, 1751. - (200) John Davis and Saml. O'Dell, to view a road from Thorn's Gap to Henry Netherton's.
- Vol. 1 - 1751-1752: Petitioners for road from Thorn's Gap to Henry Netherton's: Henry Netherton, Barnebas Agan, Elisha Job, Shadk. Parlour, John Davis, William Bethell, William Whitson, Daniel Stover.
- Vol. 1 - OCTOBER, 1765 (D). - John Hopes (Hapes) vs. Daniel Harrison.--Chancery. Spa. issued September, 1763. Bill states that orator was some years ago employed as Deputy Sheriff under Robert McClenachan, and continued so for two years. Thomas Harrison, Daniel Harrison and John Cravens were his securities. As the end of orator's term drew near he became fearful that he would be behind in his accounts, and withdrew himself to Carolina, leaving his Sheriff's books and effects for the satisfaction of his bondsmen. His effects were immediately attached by Daniel Harrison, who was appointed Deputy Sheriff in orator's place. After some time orator returned to Virginia and sold a tract of land for £47, which he paid to his securities, expecting to have an account rendered to him by defendant, but orator waited a long time for an accounting, and then applied for one, but has never gotten one yet. Prayer for acconuting. Daniel Harrison's answer states that: Claims that orator is still in his debt. Account follows: Downes's fees--William Carrel, David Johnson, James Scott, John Dunbar, William Longin, Mathy Thomas, John Griffeth, John Megil. Adam Bracen Righ's book (boock)--Alen Sculps, Alen Jackson. John Bumgardner's book--Jonathan Duglis, Aorgin Jones, John Crage, Thos. Dwode, Ben Inman Gouge, John Harrison, Henry Netherentine, Samuel Lonard, Renell Macdannel, Jeremiah Orsburn, Jr., Samuel Pattron, James Rutledge, Samuel Samples, Edward Shankling, Hugh Duglis, Wm. Ewing, David Crage, John Griffeth, James Gray, Reuben Harrison, Samuel Henderson, Francis MacBred, Richard Marling, John Phillips, John Pattron, Valentine Seveor, Mathew Ship, John Walker, Thomas Holing, Mung Price, Hugh Camel, John Davis, Jacob Glashe, John Holmes, Joell Hornback, Thomas Loin (Lain), Peter Mate, John Orsburn, Josiah Parrent, Edward Rutledge, James Scot, Mathous Sulcer, Richard Tictum.
Information on Henry Netherton
From Genforum.com post:
Henry Netherton: He was a tester to the land deed transfer between Richard Harrold and John Harrold in November 1750. Family Search indicates, Henry Netherton was born about 1710 in Westmoreland County, Virginia. He died about 1788 in Augusta County. He married Sarah Rhodes about 1737 in Stafford, Westmoreland County, Virginia. They had a son named Henry Netherton, who was born about 1740 in Prince William County, Virginia. He died about 1800 in Jefferson County, Kentucky. Eventually there was intermarriage between the Netherton and McKay lines. The Nethertons and Harrels might have migrated to Augusta County at about the same time. Stafford County is one county west of the Northern Neck. Prince William County is two counties west of the Northern Neck. This arrow points to the Northern Neck.