Windsor was the first permanent English settlement in Connecticut. Local indians granted Plymouth settlers land at the confluence of the Farmington River and the west side of the Connecticut River, and Plymouth settlers (including Jonathan Brewster, son of William) built a trading post in 1633. But the bulk of the settlement came in 1635, when 60 or more people led by Reverend Warham arrived, having trekked overland from Dorchester, Massachusetts. Most had arrived in the New World five years earlier on the ship "Mary and John" from Plymouth, England. The settlement was first called Dorchester, and was renamed Windsor in 1637.
ORIGIN: Unknown. CHURCH MEMBERSHIP: Admission to Dorchester church prior to 6 May 1634 implied by freemanship. FREEMAN: 6 May 1635 (fifth in a sequence of five Dorchester men) [MBCR 1:370]. DEATH: Soon after 4 September 1640