d.8 MAY 1772
Facts and Events
Henry Dooley was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Augusta County:
- Henry Dooley received a patent for 236 acres "on Shanadore River" on 20 January 1741, as listed in the disposition below:
- Henry Dooley received a patent for 100 acres "on the South River of Sherrandore" on 30 January 1741, as listed in the disposition below:
Disposition of Land from in Augusta County:
- Pages 52-55 [page 51 blank]. 21-22 July 1742. Henry Dowling of St. Thomas' Parish, Orange County, to John Howard of same. Lease and release; for £26 current money. 136 acres on Shanadore River, the lower end of a pattent granted to Dowling for 236 acres 30 Jan. 1741 already divided by Downing and Thomas Coaker. (signed) Henry (X) Duling [Douling]. Wit: Benjamin Cave, Joseph Gree. 23 July 1742. Acknowledged by Henry Dowling. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 8, Dorman, pg. 70].
- Pages 212-16. 4-5 Feb. 1743. Henry Dowly of Orange County, yeoman, to Nathan Underwood of same, shue maker. Lease and release; for £12 current money. [___] acres on the South River of Sherrandore in Augusta County being part of 100 acres granted by pattent 30 Jan. 1741  unto Henry Dowly... upper end in the bounds of the pattent... (signed) Henry (D) Dowly. Wit: Wm. Jackson, Thos. (T) Jackson, David (D) Jackson and David Jackson. 26 May 1743. Lease proved by Wm. Jackson, Thos. Jackson and David Jackson. Henry Dowly acknowledges release. [Orange County Deed Book 7, Dorman, pg. 52].
Records of Henry Dooley in Orange County, VA
- Pages 13-16. 24-25 Nov. 1742. John Howard of Orange County to Richd. Crank of same, cordwinder. Lease and release; for £16 current money. 136 acres on Sharrando River, the lower end of a pattent of 236 acres granted to Henry Dowley and by him sold to Howard 21-22 July, divided by a line of trees by Henry Dowley and Thomas Cookar. (signed) John Howard. Wit: W. Beverley, Hen. Downs, Zach. Taylor. 26 9ber [Nov.]. 1742. Acknowledged by John Howard. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 7, Dorman, pg. 40].
Records of Henry Dooley in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 113.--28th January, 1751. Nicholas Null of Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania, to Jacob Miller, Jr., 400 acres, on So. River Shanandoe, Peaked Mountain, Boon's Run. Teste: Jacob Nicholas, Valintine Pence, Henry Dooley.
- Page 144.--20th February, 1750-51. Sale of personalty of Mathias Shaw, by James Nicholas, executor--Recorded 18th May, 1762, viz: Sold to Henry Dooley. (listed among many others, Henry Dooley's son Thomas married Matthias Shaup's daughter Rebecca).
- Page 421.--2d July, 1752. Same (Christophel Francisco by Stophel Francisco, his son and attorney) to Nicholas Nutt (Futt), Null?), 415 acres. Same (Part of Jacob Stover's 5000 acres, on Shanandore; corner Nicholas Trout's line, on Cub Run; Morris Pound's line; corner Patrick Wilson; Val. Pence's line; the 3,100-acre lines. These Francisco conveyances are part of Stover's 5,000-acre tract); corner Wm. Peirce and Henry Dooley.
- Page 230.--14th May, 1754. Nicholas Null and Margaret, his wife to John Craig, 415 acres on Cub Run, a branch of Shanando, part of Stover's large tract of 5,000 acres, cor. William Pierce and Henry Dooley; line of Nicholas Null's land; line of Stover's 5,000 acre tract.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1765 (B). Cunningham vs. Sawyers.--Capt Alexander Sawyers to William Cunningham, debtor. 1758, June 20, for Thomas Baker, for Henry Dooley; August 22, for John Burk; August 29, for Dennis O'Brian; November 3, to one deerskin for Andrew Johnson; November 14, pumps for John Foy; November 16, for John Donally, for James Asque; November 20, for Thos. Welsh, for Israel Young; November 23, for Joshua McCormick, for Abraham Thompson, for Samuel Hamilton, for John Cunningham; to one horse of my own; to my pay for 202 days' service in your Company, £20, 4, 0. Contra: By cash, per Joseph Ray, John Davis, at May Court. (Signed) David Sawyers.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST, 1766 (A). - Doggett vs. Henry Dooley.--Richard Doggett and Rhoda, his wife, late Rhoda Evans. Defendant is a soldier and lives in Bedford, Glade Creek, Roanoke.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 21, 1767. - (240) Michael Cloyd, from his house to the branch below James Moore, Sr.; Henry Dooley and John Thompson, to view road from the Welshman's Run to the Bedford Line; Israel Christian, from the Great Lick to Graham's Clearing, vice Wm. Graham.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 16, 1768. - (506) Henry Dooley to be surveyor of road from the Welshman's Run to Bedford Line-ordered to be established.
- Page 300.--16th May, 1770. Same to Henry Liner, £10.65 acres, part of 236 acres patented to Henry Dooling, 30th January, 1741, and by him conveyed to Christian, on South River of Shanandore. Delivered: Henry Liner, August Court, 1784. (Quaere? Is this Laneor?)
Information on Henry Dooley
Henry Dooley: Born 1720, Bedford, Virginia; Died 8 May 1772; Married Martha Anderson: Born about 1728. Sources: LDS Records;