Facts and Events
HENRY BECKER was born in 1828 at Hesse, Germany. He married CHARLOTTE [BECKER] at Germany. Henry was seven years older than Charlotte. His first child Charlotte was born when he was 29. It is not known how long they were married before she was born.
Henry was 38 when he and CHARLOTTE [BECKER] emmigrated from Germany to the United States in 1866. (Daughter Charlotte claimed an 1866 immigration date on her 1920 census form)S3. Fourteen years later, Henry and Charlotte appeared on the census of 1880 at Wayne, Du Page County, Illinois. Henry was a Farmer in 1880.
In 1897 Henry's saw his family upended when his son-in-law Arnold Luetgert, husband of daughter Charlotte committed suicide in grisly public fashion by shooting himself. Henry was cited as being called upon to identify the body. Arnold was distraught both by his financial ruin in the panic of 1896 and by the public humiliation of his family due to sensationalistic conviction of his brother who became known as The Sausage King MurdererS5
The 1897 newspaper article is the last known record of Henry. He died sometime after 1897. He was at least 70 when he died.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1880 US Federal Census: Wayne, Du Page County, Illinois, 1880, Primary quality.
- ↑ 1910 US Federal Population Census: 29-Wd Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, 1910, Primary quality.
- 1920 US Federal Population Census: Chicago Ward 29, Cook County, Illinois, 1920, Secondary quality.
- ↑ John Henry Becker Death Certificate. (Death Certificate), 1926, Primary quality.
- Robert Loerzel. Alchemy of Bones by Robert Loerzel, Secondary quality.
Help fund new features!