Facts and Events
Halbert McClure was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Halbert McClure's land (Borden Tract SW, 203 acres, 1746) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009. (Note: land of several other McClure's are located nearby).
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 203.--19th March, 1746. Benj. Borden to Halbert McClure (sold in lifetime of Benjamin, Sr.); 203 acres for £6.1.6 current money Virginia, part of 92,100 acres on north branch of James River; corner to William Hall's land; corner to Samuel McClure. Witnessed and acknowledged as above.
Will of Halbert McClure
- Page 36.--23d March. 1753. Halberd McClure's will, gentleman--Wife, Agnes; brother, John's son Halberd; sons; son Alexander, son Nathaniel, executors. Teste: Baptist McNabb, Jno. Davison, Saml. Lyle. Proved, 16th May, 1754, by Davison and Lyle, and executors qualify.
- Page 54.--May, 1754 (?). Halbert McClure's appraisement.
- Page 59.--6th June, 1754. Halbert McClure's appraisement, by John Paxton, John Moore, Joseph Walker.
Records of Halbert McClure in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Muster List of 1742: No. 12 - Capt. John McDowell's List: John McDowell, Captain; James McDowell, Ephraim McDowell, David Breeden, Alex. McClewer, John McClewer, Halbert McClewer, Sam McRoberts, Thomas Taylor, John McKnab, And. McKnab, Thos. Whiteside, Malco Whiteside, John Aleson, David Bires, Alex. McClure, Moses McClure, John Gray, Patt McKnabb, Wm. Hall, John Miless, Wm. Miles. James Hardiman, Charles Quail, Wm. Wood, Hen. Kirkham, Gilbert Gamble, James Gamble, Rob. Young, Math. Young, _____ Long, _____ Long, James More, Hugh Cunigham, James Cunigham, John Cares, Frances McCowan, Hum. Beaker, John Peter Salley, Mitch. Miller, Loromor Mason, John Matthews, John Cosier, Irwin Patterson, Edward Patterson, Joseph Finney, Michael Finney, Sam Wood, Rich. Wood, Joseph Lapsley.
- Page 269.--21st May, 1747. Benj. Bordin, &c., to Robert Allison (sold in testator's lifetime); 279 acres, 2 R., 36 P., £8.5.0 current money Virginia, part of 92,100; north branch of James; corner to Halbert McClure, James Thompson's land. Witnessed and acknowledged as above.