George Scott, of the North Branch, Shenandoah River
- H. George Scott, of the North Branch, Shenandoah RiverBef 1710 -
- W. Mary UnknownBef 1727 -
m. Bef. 1744
Facts and Events
||George Scott, of the North Branch, Shenandoah River
||to Mary Unknown
George Scott was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Disposition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pg. 112-114. Indenture 23 May 1744 between George Scott and Mary, his wife, of Orange County and William Lamb of same... for five shillings.. land in that part of Orange County called Augusta.. 370 acres.. north side of the North River of Shannando.. Stony Lick Branch granted to George Scott by Pattent bearing date 30 July 1730. . . .(signed) George Scott (seal) Mary (X) Scott (seal). Witnesses: James Pendleton, Jas. Porteus, J. Clayton. Lease acknowledged.. recorded 24 May 1744.. £26 paid and acknowledged. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 9, Dorman, pg. 15].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 85.--27th October, 1748. George Scott to Samuel Henderson; Sharrendoe River. Teste: Joshua Hickman.
Records of George Scott in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Page 140.--16th March, 1748. Samuel Scott's will--Wife, Ann; son, John, 400 acres on Cub Run, slave negroes; daughters, Mary and Jean (infants), slaves, negroes; mother, Jean Scott; brother's son, Samuel Scott. Executors. Robert Scott and Robert Hook. Teste: Robert McFerson, George Scott, George Scott. Presented 17th May, 1749, in Court by executors and proved by all witnesses. Ann refuses to abide by the will. (Note: George Scott witnessed the will of Samuel Scott, who died in 1749, it is presumed that he was a brother of Samuel).
- Page 182.--17th May, 1749. Robert Scott to Mathew Thompson, Jr. Stormy Lick Branch, Jacob Thomas. Patented to Robert, 5th March, 1747. Teste: George Scott, Robt. Hook, Wm. Lamb, Ann. wife of Robert.
- Page 269.--3rd July, 1749. William Thomptson, Sr., to William Thomptson, Jr. 400 acres on Middle River, opposite mouth of No. Br. of Shannado. James Craig. Patented to William, Sr., 22nd September, 1739. Teste: James Patton, John Buchanan, Robert and George Scott.
- Page 144.--20th February, 1750-51. Sale of personalty of Mathias Shaw, by James Nicholas, executor--Recorded 18th May, 1762, viz: Sold to Jno. Craig, Wm. Frazier, Jas. Downey, Jno. Love, David Nelson, Henry Dooley, William Craig, Bernard Man, Joseph Wait, Saml. Muncy, Joseph Muncy, Casper Faught, Owen Reed, Joseph Wait, Jacob Harmon, Jno. Stevenson, Jacob Nicholas, Peter Herman, James Beard, Cathrine Pence, Michael Cam, William Williams. 5th May, 1755--2d sale, to viz: Jacob Nicholas, Henry Dooley, David Nelson, Peter Miller, Conrad Kimsley, Catrine Shawp (3 books), Michael Cam, Francis Kirtley, Jno. Davison, Margaret Shawp, Jno. Davis, Charles Man, Joseph Cravens, Jno. Couch, Robt. Craig, Jacob Courtsious, Simon Powell, Geo. Cam, Henry Long, Evan Evans, Conrad Backfish, Patrick Wilson, Jno. Hetrick, Nicholas Brock, George, Robert, and widow Scott. By sundries received of the estate of the deceased Jacob Pence.
- Page 311.--17th May. 1759. Samuel Scott's estate settlement, by Robert Scott and Robert Hooks, executors. Paid Thos. Stevenson, Christopher Zimmerman, Robt. McFarson, David Nelson, Henry Downs, Saml. Wilkins, Wm. Craig, Wm. Snodon, Margaret Fowler, William Jordan, Jno. Vought, Patrick Cain, Doctor Harrison, Hugh Thompson, Jonathan Gibson, Jas. Beard; 1 coffin for Samuel Scott; 1 coffin for George Scott; keeping 3 negroes one year, nine months, bv R. Scott. Vendue to, viz: David Crighton, Jno. Paul Fought, David Logan, Jas. Underwood, James Berkley, widow McDonald, Patrick Quin. Joseph Kinkade, John Love, Bernard Man, Jacob Pence, John Wilkins, Ann Scott.
- Page 330.--24th March, 1764. Henry Horse's vendue bill recorded-- To Charles Kilpatrick, Jno. Water, Jno. Malkem, Jas. Reyburn, Danl. Love, Chas. Dever, Edward McGarry, Wm. Dyer, Sarah Nare, Ezrah Shipman, Roger Dyer, Jno. Dunkell, Michael Props, Benj. Scott, Peter Nare, Elizabeth Wilfong, Henry Wagener, Christian Goose, Michael Rhine (Ryan), Adam Roudenboush, Michl. Mallow, James Knox, George Scott, Peter Smith.