Sir George Plantagenet, 1st Duke of Clarence
Facts and Events
||Sir George Plantagenet, 1st Duke of Clarence
||21 Oct 1449
||Dublin, County Dublin, Republic of IrelandHouse of York
||14 Jul 1469
||Calais, Pas-de-Calais, FranceChurch of Our Lady
to Isabella Neville
||18 Feb 1477/78
||Tower of London, Middlesex, England
|Ancestral File Number
||Tewkesbury Abbey, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, England
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
George Plantagenet, 1st Duke of Clarence, 1st Earl of Salisbury, 1st Earl of Warwick, KG (21 October 1449 – 18 February 1478) was the third son of Richard Plantagenet, 3rd Duke of York, and Cecily Neville, and the brother of English Kings Edward IV and Richard III. He played an important role in the dynastic struggle between rival factions of the Plantagenets known as the Wars of the Roses.
Though a member of the House of York, he switched sides to support the Lancastrians, before reverting to the Yorkists. He was later convicted of treason against his brother, Edward IV, and was executed (allegedly by being drowned in a butt of Malmsey wine). He appears as a character in William Shakespeare's plays Henry VI, part 3 and Richard III, in which his death is attributed to the machinations of Richard.
- George Plantagenet, 1st Duke of Clarence, in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia.
- Sir George Plantagenet, 1st Duke of Clarence, in Lundy, Darryl. The Peerage: A genealogical survey of the peerage of Britain as well as the royal families of Europe.
- GEORGE (Dublin Castle 21 Oct 1449-murdered Tower of London 18 Feb 1478, bur Tewkesbury Abbey, Gloucestershire)., in Cawley, Charles. Medieval Lands: A prosopography of medieval European noble and royal families.
- George Duke of Clarence, in Find A Grave.
- Cokayne, George Edward, and Vicary Gibbs; et al. The complete peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, extant, extinct, or dormant [2nd ed.]. (London: St. Catherine Press, 1910-59), Volume 3 pages 260 and 261.
Help fund new features!