Facts and Events
Johan George Kepplinger was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 469.--29th May, 1761. Same (Mary Wood, of Frederick, James and Moses Green, of Culpeper),to George Kaplinger, £19.7, at same place (on North Fork of South Branch of Potowmack), cor. George Hammer, 114 acres, part of 350 acres patented as above (part of 350 acres patented to Robert Green, 12th January, 1746). Delivered to same. Teste: Gabriel Coil.
Will of George Kepplinger
- Page 91.--16th January, 177_. George (his mark) Capliner's will--To son, George Caplener, and his brother, John Caplener, who are to pay each of their brothers and sisters; to wife; to 3 young sons and youngest dafter. Teste: John Skidmore, Frane (his mark __) Evo. Executors, George Hammo, George Dice, 3rd, for administrators after my desass on my estate. I desor that my two sons will lorn the two youngest boys to read through the Salter Poruct and the 2 boys is to live with their elder brothers till they are sixteen years of age. Teste: George Caplener, Jr., John Caplener. Proved, 18th May, 1773, by the witnesses. George Hammer qualifies with John Skidmore, Francis Eve.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 18, 1773 - (99) Appraisers appointed of estate of Rev. George Caplinger. Inter alias Aaron Vanscoy.
- Page 377.--3d and 4th August, 1773. George Caplinger's (of South Branch) estate sold at vendue--To Leonard Probst, Jacob Caplinger, Danl. Probst, Henry Caplinger, Catherine Caplinger, Elizabeth Caplinger, John Caplinger, Geo. Caplinger, Adam Caplinger, Michael Alkeir, Ulrick Conrad, Christian Pickle, Stovel Low, Valentine Post, John Skidmore; to Doctor Neal, Chas. Bowers, Peter Caphart, Aron Skyhaw, Zachoriah Rexrode. Geo. Caplinger (2 crout tubs), Joseph Skidmore, Elizabeth Harbold, Jacob Rude, Jobb Velton, George Ganker, Thomas Willmott, Aron Vansye, Martin Coyle, Danl. Richardson, Danl. Hornbeck.
- Page 381.--15th August, 1775. George Caplinger's estate settled by Geo. Hammer, executor; paid John Griffen, Christopher Ove.
Processioning List of 1767/68
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 446.--1767-68: Processioned by Joseph Skidmore, Geo. Dice, Henry Banener, viz: For Samuel Morrels, present Wm. Eaverman; for John Skidmore, present Valentine Cassel and Jacob Conrad; for Geo. Caplinger, present Jacob Harper and Jno. Caplinger; for Valentine Giles, deceased, present Geo. Giles; for Peter Flesher, for Henry Banener, for Woolrey Conrad, for George Dice. Processioned by Cornelius Ruddle, David Robeson: For Thomas Bryan, for John Linkhorn, for Robert Belshee, for Wm. Dunlap, for John Miller, for Wm. Pickens; for Mathias Leer, Jos. Leer present; for Tunish Vanpeter, for Abraham Miller, for George Speare, for Skid Muncy's land, for Cornelius Ruddle, for Thomas Moore, for David Robinson. Processioned by John Coutts and John Miller, viz: For John Miller, for John Fudge, for John Munge (Conrad Fudge present), for Geo. Hufman, for Geo. Gunrod, for Henry Dick, for Peter Brunemer, for Henry Lung, for Francis Kirtley, for Christopher Cisling, for Boston Nester, for Jerod Peterfish, for Stephen Hanceberry, for John Sellers, for Jacob Runkle, for Nicholas Null, for Charles Fie, for Daniel Link, for Daniel Price, for David McComis, for John Burk, for Mathias Cersh, for Jacob Hammer.
Records of George Kepplinger in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - List of Delinquents, 1755: George Caplinger, no estate.
- Page 28.--28th June, 1758. Peter Moser's estate settlement, by Michael Mallow, allowed 19th May, 1761--To Cathron Moser, Jno. Hopkins, Danl. Love, James McDole, Jno. Wright, Fardrick Kestor, Jacob Harper, Andrew Arewen, Powl Shaver, Eaform Love, Nickles Hofman, Edward McGary. (2nd vendue held 8th November, 1758?) To Alex. Miller, James McGill, Jno. McCoy. (3d vendue held 3d October, 1760.) Credit by Patterkole money received on Peter Moser's account. From Jno. Madison, from George Caplinger, from Henry Carr, from Captain Cartley (Keartley), Capt. Abraham Smith (patterole money), from Captain Smith, for provender; from Captain Smith, on account of Wm. Wood; from Jno. Hogleer; from Capt. Ephraim Love, for provender and paterrole (patrol) money; from Capt. Smith, patterole money. Paid Jacob Rolman, paid Daniel Smith for clorking, paid Fredk. Opp for schooling, paid Fredk. Easter for salt and store goods, paid Johnson Hill for weaving, paid John Hughes, paid Stephen Conrad, the blacksmith.
- Page 64.--18th August, 1761. Mark Miller's estate to Peter Vaneman, administrator--Due to Elizabeth Vaneman, Henry Barringer, Michl. Arehart, Mathias Dice, Henry Puckett, George Mouse, Borket Rider, Geo. Harris, George Caplinger, Looney Higher, Jacob Jobe, Philip Huffman.
- Page 35.--19th August, 1767. Settlement of Valentine Coil's estate, by Geo. Hammer and Geo. Coile--Cash paid Gabriel Coile, George Caplinger; cash paid Francis Evick, Geo. Tice, Woolrick Conrod; cash paid Colien Havenor, Nicholas Havenor, Jno. Murray, Henry Stone, Mark Swatley, Christian Grod, Barned Lince, Martin Coile.
- Chalkley's Augusta County Records
- Familysearch submissions