Facts and Events
George Daugherty (Dougherty) was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Virginia:
- George Dougherty acquired 80 acres "on Carr's Creek (also called Kerr's Creek) of James River, between House Mountain and North Mountain", prior to 2 March 1765, as listed in disposition below:
- Page 67 - George Dockerty, 50 acres, Forks of the James River. Adjoining William Crawford. March 11, 1767. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 26].
- Page 104 - George Dockerty, 75 acres, Forks of the James River. October 23, 1767. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 38].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 807.----2d March, 1765. George Dougherty to William Robinson, £40.15, 80 acres on Carr's Creek of James River, between House Mountain and North Mountain. Delivered: Wm. Robinson, April, 1767. (Note: it appears that George Dougherty sold his land on Carr's Creek shortly after the 2nd Kerr's Creek Massacre in July 1763, likely supporting the rationale that his wife Agnes may have been a daughter of James Cunningham who was killed in that massacre).
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 382.--16th January, 1760 (33d year of Reign). James Cunningham's will, of Colony and Dominion of Virginia--To wife Margaret; to son Moses, infant; to Hugh Cunningham, 1 shilling; to daughter Elizabeth, 1 shilling; to James Cunningham, son to son Jacob; to John Cunningham, son to son Isaac; to daughter Mary; to daughters, each and every of them, 1 shilling. Executors, wife and son Moses. Teste: Malcom Allen, Robt. Bowen, Lilly Bowen. Proved, 19th March, 1765, by Malcom Allen and Lilly Bowen. Margaret is dead. Moses qualifies, with Hugh Cunningham, Geo. Dougherty.
- Page 289.--9th October, 1765. John Edmiston and Margaret to John Berry, £43, 170 acres, part of Borden's 92,100; corner John Stewart ( ). Teste: Samuel Buchanan, George Dougherty, Robt. Buchanan, Samuel Edmiston.
- Vol. 2 - Byrd, assignee, vs. Aaron Hughes--Bond by Aaron Hughes, of Conwell County, State of Franklin, to James Hubbart, of same place, 21st October, 1785. Commission to take depositions of Mark Jordan, James Cunningham and Andrew Greer, Sr., inhabitants of the territory south of Ohio River April 2, 1793. Commission is addressed to George Dougherty, Andrew Henderson, John Blackburn, Landon Carter and James Stuart. Ceded territory of United States south of Ohio, Jefferson County. Affidavit before Parmenus Taylor and Garret Fitz, by James Cunningham, 23d March, 1793. Deposition of Mark Jordan (Jreden ?) in Jefferson County, territory south of Ohio, 15th August, 1793, that Aaron authorized his son, Abraham, to sign the bond. Deposition of Andrew Greer, in Washington County, same territory, 19th August, 1793. (Note: this record shows Cunningham's with George Dougherty in migration from Augusta County)
3. George Daugherty Sr. (Charles Daugherty8, Michael Mor Daugherty I7, Liam O'Dougherty6, Liam O'Dougherty5, Sean O'Dochartaigh4, Conn O'Dochartaigh3, Aodh O'Dochartaigh2, Cornelius O'Dochartaigh1) was born abt 1730, and died AFT 1809. He married Agnes Cunningham abt 1770? She was born abt 1752?, and died AFT 22 JAN 1809.
Children of George Daugherty Sr. and Agnes Cunningham are:
+ 24 i. Agnes Daugherty was born abt 1772? in Augusta Co., VA.
+ 25 ii. George Daugherty Jr. was born 1773 in VA, and died 1838 in Monroe Co., IN.
26 iii. Elizabeth Daugherty was born abt 1774? in Augusta Co., VA. She married Robert Baker 18 DEC 1798 in Lincoln Co., KY. He was born abt 1795?
+ 27 iv. Hannah Daugherty was born abt 1780? in VA, and died BEF 1823.
28 v. Rachael Daugherty was born AFT 1788. She married Johnathan Smith 22 JAN 1809 in Pulaski Co., KY. He was born abt 1788?