Gabriel Pickens, of South Branch, Potomac River, VA
Facts and Events
Gabriel Pickens was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- 1750-51, March 18th--Gabriel Pickens, 100, on Howell's Branch, near Jacob Gilisby and Henry Smith; two rights.
- Gabriel Pickens received a patent for 200 acres on 12th May, 1759, "on a branch of Bever Creek; corner Hennery Smith's land; corner Jacob Gallespy", as listed in the 1768 deed "Abraham Smith to Thomas Fulton", listed below.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 331.--18th May, 1762. Gabriel Pickens to Abram Smith. £50. 200 acres on a branch of Bever Creek; cor. Henry Smith; cor. Jacob Gillespy's land. Delivered: Col. Abraham Smith. March, 1772.
Processioning List of 1760
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 272.--1760: Processioned by John Malkem and Alex. Blair, viz: For John Young, for Robert Young, for James Anderson, for Alex. Blair, for John Anderson, for John Francey, for Wm. Cunningham, fnr John McKemy. for Walter Trimble, for Hugh Dever, for John Davies, for _____ Doughlas, for Daniel Smith, for Bigham's land formerly known by the name of Gragg's, for Gabriel Pickens, for Robert Poage, for Abraham Smith, for Isaiah Shipman, for David Robiston, for Silas Hart, for John Cunningham, for Henry Smith, for Widow Ramsey, for Thomas Woodal, for Moses Hall, for Andrey McCown, for James Bell, for Edward Erwin, for Alex. Craig, for Wm. Frame, for Thos. Waterson, for Francis Brown, for John King, for John Searight, for John Kear, for Hugh Campbell, for Alex. Kile, for Robert Fowler, for James Gamble, for James Leeper, Sr. and Jr., for James Blair, for Edward Erwin's land formerly known as Brownlee's place, for Adam Stevenson, for Umphrey's place on North River, for Stevenson's place they live on, for Jacob and Christian Roleman, for John Malcom, for William Flimen, for Charles Campbell, for Robert Campbell, for William Brown, for Widow and John and James Alexander, for Michael Dickey, for James Young, for James Patterson, for Andrew Erwin, for John Erwin, for Edward Erwin, for Francis Erwin, for Hugh Campbell, Jr., for James McGill, for Robert Brown, for James Young.
Records of Gabriel Pickens in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Muster List of 1742: Captain John Smith's List: John Smith, Captain; John Moffet, Lieutenant; William Anderson, Ensign; Daniel Daniston, Sergeant; Sam Hogshead, John Hogshead, Will Hogshead, Dan. McAnear, Math. Edmeston, John Finley, Walter Trimble, John Francis, Robert Ralston, John Young, Alex. Blair, Alex. Craig, Thomas Gillespy, And. Erwine, Benj. Erwine, John Erwine, Edw. Erwine, John Trimble, James Trimble, Rob. Moffett, James Wright, Rob. King, Jam. Armstrong, John Pattison, Jas. Lesley, Felix Kanady, Thomas Gordon, And. Mitchell, Jas. Robertson, Gabrl. Pickins, Rob. Leeper, Sam. Moore, John Miller, James Miller, Patr. Quine, Mat. Armstrong, John Ramsey, Dan. Daniston, Sam Northward, Rob. Renick, John Archer, Sampn. Archer, Jam.'s Sayers, Thos. McCulough, George Anderson, John Anderson, Rob. Poage, Rob. Patterson, Jas. Craford, Will Baskins.
- Vol. 1 - 1749 - ORIGINAL PETITIONS AND PAPERS FILED IN THE COUNTY COURT. - To the Honorable Court of Augusta. Petition of inhabitants and subscribers of the South Fork of the South Branch of Pattomuck are very much discommoded for want of a road to market and to Court if occation but espetily to market. We have found a very good way for a road: Beginning at John Patton's over the mountain to Cap. John Smith's; we begg that you will take this our petition unto your consideration and grant us a briddle road to Court and a road to market where it will sute most convenient, and will ever pray, etc. Costian Huver, Adam Stroud, Christian Evan, John Evan, Peter Haap. German names follow and paper torn so that names are illegible. John Smith, John Patton, Samuel Patton, Mathew Patton, William Jimson, William Dayer, Claude Evens, George Donther, Roger Doyer, John Wa(l)ker, Abraham Smith, Benjamin Kinley, Daniel Smith, Isaiah Shipman, Henry Smith, Jacob Gillespy, Gabriell Pickens, John Smith, William Logan, John Melkem, John McCluer.
- Page 231.--2d March, 1749. Mathew Edmiston, Danl. Harrison, Gabriel Pickens, farmers. Mathew's bond as guardian of Robina, daughter of James Patterson. Robina did not chose guardian.
- Page 265.--22d August, 1749. William Lamb to John Lynd, Gent. Shannadore. 320 acres on No. Br. No. Riv. Robert Scott's land. Stoney-Lick Branch. Teste: Gabriel Pickins and Robert Scott.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 28, 1751. - (574) Road ordered from John Davis's mill to Wood's New Cleared Gap, and John King, with Andrew Erwin, John McGill, Wm. McGill, Robert Fowler, Hugh Campbell, John Erwin, Edward Erwin, Robert Carscaden, Francis Erwin, Edward Erwin, Wm. Frame, Benj. Erwin, Charles Campbell, Robert Campbell, Wm. Brown, Michael Dickey, Robert Brown. Henry Smith, Hugh Diver, Charles Diver, David McCummins, John Davis, Danl. Smith, James Anderson, John Francis, Wm. Alexander, Robert Gamble, Andrew Combe, James Patterson, Francis Brown, Gabriel Pickens, keep it in repair.
- Vol. 1 - ORIGINAL PETITIONS AND PAPERS FILED IN THE COUNTY COURT. - 1751. Petition for road from John Davis's Mill to Woods's Gap, or to the road now clearing over the mountain near said Gap: Andrew Erwin, Robert Fowler, Edward Erwin, Francis Ervin, Charles Campbell, Michael Dickey, Hugh Diver, John Davies, John Francis, Andrew McCombe, John Magill, Hugh Campbell, Robert Carskadan, William Frame, Robert Campbell, Robert Brown, Charles Diver, Daniel Smith, William Alexander, James Patterson, William Magill, John Erwine, Edward Erwine, Benjamin Erwin, William Brown, Henry Smith, David McCammis, James Anderson, Robert Gamble, Francis Brown, Gabriel Pickens.
- Vol. 2 - List of Delinquents - Gabriel Pickens, Constable.
- Page 86.--15th March, 1755. Benjamin Copeland's additional appraisement, by Robert Patterson (mark), Jos. Bryan (mark), John Brown Daniel Henderson's note; John Macau's note; Gabriel Pickin's note; John Shaw's note (run away); James Gamble's note; Alex. Craig's note; Repentance Townsend's note; Henry Cryswell's note; Joseph Write's bonds.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1755 (C). Thomas Moore and Phebe, his wife, vs. Abraham Smith and Gabriel Pickens.--Phebe, late Phebe Davison. "Phebe Davison, spinster." Bond dated 1751.
- Page 210.--2d July, 1755. Thomas Beall, of Frederick County, Maryland, planter, to Jonathan Douglass, weaver, 400 acres on a branch of Broad Run on a draft of Brock's Creek. Teste: Silas Hart, Gabriel Pickens, Daniel Smith. Delivered: grantee, 1760.
- Page 389.--26th _____, 1760. Lodwick Foalke's appraisement, by Danl. Smith, Gabrial Pickins, Michael Mallow--Cash.
- Page 254.--__ April, 1760. Anthony Bowyer's estate appraised, by Gabriel Pickens, Jno. Davis, Jas. Dyer.
- Page 75.--19th August, 1761. Daniel Smith's settlement of estate of Henry Lawrence approved and recorded--Paid Gabriel Pickins, Hugh Hamilton, Windle Siver, Peter Finiman (Vaneman?) Sale bill, viz: To David Nelson, Thos. Feemster, Martin Shoob, Jacob Peters, Jacob Goodman.
- Vol. 1 - MAY 19, 1762. (217) Commission for examination of Zurubiah, wife of Gabriel Pickens.
- Page 209.--14th November, 1768. - Col. Abraham Smith and Sarrah to Thomas Fulton, £110, 200 acres patented to Gabriel Pickens, 12th May, 1759, on a branch of Bever Creek; corner Hennery Smith's land; corner Jacob Gallespy. Teste: John Grattan, Ralph Lofftus, Jese Harrison. Delivered: Ezekiel Loagan, per James Magill's order, executor of said estate, 10th July, 1806.
Scotch-Irish in Virginia, Augusta County, Virginia Court Records, Vol. II:
MAY 28, 1751.
(574) Road ordered from John Davis's mill to Wood's New Cleared Gap, and
John King, with Andrew Erwin, John McGill, Wm. McGill, Robert Fowler,
Hugh Campbell, John Erwin, Edward Erwin, Robert Carscaden, Francis
Erwin, Edward Erwin, Wm. Frame, Benj. Erwin, Charles Campbell, Robert
Campbell, Wm. Brown, Michael Dickey, Robert Brown. Henry Smith, Hugh
Diver, Charles Diver, David McCummins, John Davis, Danl. Smith, James
Anderson, John Francis, Wm. Alexander, Robert Gamble, Andrew Combe,
James Patterson, Francis Brown, Gabriel Pickens, keep it in repair.
MAY, 1755 (C).
Thomas Moore and Phebe, his wife, vs. Abraham Smith and Gabriel Pickens.--Phebe, late Phebe Davison. "Phebe Davison, spinster." Bond dated 1751.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Brøderbund Software, Inc. World Family Tree Vol. 15, Ed. 1. (Release date: November 20, 1997), Tree #2478.
Date of Import: Oct 1, 1998
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Pickenswft15.FTW.
Date of Import: Oct 1, 1998
- Demastus, Charles A. , e-mail: Demastus@@aol.com.
Help fund new features!