d.28 FEB 1903
Facts and Events
FREDERICKA [POLKOW] was born in Apr 1834 at Prussia, Germany. She and CARL (CHARLES) POLKOW immigrated in 1862. The 1900 census lists their immigration date as 1862, four years before Carl and Fredericka were married. This does not agree with other records which have an immigration date closer to the date of their marriage.
She married CARL (CHARLES) POLKOW circa 1866. They were listed as being married for 34 years in the 1900 census. They had five children, Mary, John, Sophie, Minnie, and Louis. She is listed as Mary. She and CARL (CHARLES) POLKOW appeared on the census of 1870 at Thornton Township, Cook County, Illinois. Fredericka is listed as Mary. It is possible the she adopted a more American name when she came to the United States. They named their oldest daughter Mary so perhaps she returned to Fredericka after that. All later records use the name Fredericka.
Carl and Fredericka lost their youngest daughter Minnie to typhoid fever in 1893. She was 18. She and CARL (CHARLES) POLKOW appeared on the census of 1900 at Chicago, Cook County, Illinois. They had moved north from Thorton into the city. Fredericka died on 28 Feb 1903 at age 68.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1880 US Federal Population Census: Thornton Township, Cook County, Illinois, 1880, Primary quality.
- ↑ Cheryl Ahner Ashenfelter. Ahner Family Tree. (Family Tree, ca 1997), Secondary quality.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 1900 US Federal Population Census: Thornton Township, Cook County, Illinois, 1900, Primary quality.
- ↑ Illinois Statewide Death Index, Pre–1916: Polkow Records. (Online Database), 1903, Primary quality.
- ↑ 1870 US Federal Population Census: Thorton Township, Cook County, Illinois, 1870, Primary quality.
- Fredericka Polkow in "Black and Feaster Lineages" at Ancestry.com