Facts and Events
Early Land Acquisition in Orange County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pg. 269-271. Indenture 22 Jan 1745 between William Coleman and Elizabeth, his wife, of St. Mark's Parish, Orange County, and Francis Strother of St. Martin's Parish, County of Hanover.. deeds of lease and release.. 583⅓ acres of land being the one third part of a Patent granted to Thomas Kennerly, James Kennerly and Eliz. Kennerly for 1,750 acres dated 242 June 1735 in St. Mark's Parish, Orange County, between the mountains in the fork of the Bushy River called Delamera Forrest.. release for consideration mentioned. . . . (signed) William (X) Coleman, Eliza. (X) Coleman.
- Recorded 25 January 1745.
- [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 56].
Acquisition of Land from Northern Neck Warrants & Surveys:
- Francis Strother, no warrant - date from survey - 19 Jan. 1747 - 6 ____ 1747/48; 1,333 acres on North fork of Ruch River near Kennerly's Mt. Waste & ungranted land in two pieces at each end of Capt. Grants late survey & joining his pat. land bought of Coleman to be resurveyed & including the waste in one plat; adj. Capt. Grant, Capt. Compton, Strothers former pat., John Strother & including part of a tract of 1,750 acres granted to Thomas Kennerly, James Kennerly & Elizabeth Kennerly 19 June 1735 & conveyed by deed of sale to Francis Strother by Wm. Coleman & Elizabeth his wife. Chain Carriers - John Strother & William Strother. Marker - Geo. Strother. Surv. John Baylis for James Genn. [Abstracts of Virginia's Northern Neck Warrants & Surveys, Orange & Augusta Counties, with Tithables, Delinquents, Petitioners, 1730-1754, Volume One, Peggy Smomo Joyner, pg. 14].
Acquisition of Land from Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants 1742-1775, Vol. 2:
- G-102: Francis Strother of Orange County, 1,333 acres in Orange County. Surv. John Baylis for Mr. James Genn. Purchased 583 acres of 1,750 acres granted 19 June 1735 to Thomas Kennerly, James Kennerley & Elizabeth, plus surplus in tract, Adjoining late Capt. Grant, Capt. Compton, on Rush River, John Strother, Kennerly's Mountain. 27 July 1748. [Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775, Vol. 2, pg. 27].
- ↑ Will of Francis Strother.
Library of Virginia, Will Book A, 1749-1770, Culpeper Co, VA, Reel 31, pages 57-60
See Will on family page of Francis Strother and Susanna Dabney (1)