Facts and Events
Francis Riley was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Processioning List of 1765
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 384.--1765: _____ _____ and _____ _____ report as follows, viz: For William Snodgrass, for Francis Railey, for David Mitchell, for Francis Smith, for James Johnson.
Records of Francis Riley in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Page 402.--21st September, 1763. William Young, of, &c., as above, to William Davis above, £65, 400 acres above Francis Ryley's line on east side New River.
- Page 410.--22d September, 1763. William Davis, of Philadelphia, to Jno. Wiley, £120, 400 acres on east side New River, Francis Riley's line. Acknowledged by William. Delivered to John Wiley, August, 1765.
- Page 44.--19th August, 1765. John Willey (Wiley) to Peter and Alex. Wiley, sons of John, £200, 400 acres on New River, Francis Riley's line. Delivered: Pat. Lockhart, September, 1772.
- Page 51.--25th April, 1769. Same (( ) Scaggs (Skeggs), Sr., and Rachel ( ) ) to Henry Scaggs, £100, 100 acres by deeds from Francis Rieley to James, 29th May, 1751, on Little River, a branch of Woods' River.
- Page 383.--21st March, 1771. James Patton's settlement of estate recorded--John Buchanan, executor; 1758, 28d April, paid Francis Riely; 1765, 6th June.
Information on Francis Riley
From "Families of Grace Through 1900: Remembering Radford", Volume 1, by Joanne Spiers Moche, pg. 13:
- Francis Riley, also spelled Reilly, received a large land patent in 1748 thought to be the first on granted to a settler in this area of the New River Valley. Others such as John Mills and James Addair were also granted large tracts of land near New River in the southwestern New River Valley during the mid-1700's. James Addair would build his landholdings to eight hundred and eighty acres on the north side of New River in an area called the Upper Horseshoe (some of which would later be known as the community of Fairlawn).
Help fund new features!