Facts and Events
Francis Reynolds was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Francis Reynold's land (Borden Tract SW, 100 acres, 1761) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 189.--12th February, 1761. Same (from Borden's executors) to Francis Reynolds. £__, 100 acres of 92100; James Anderson's line, cor. survey for Samuel Davis.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 180.--13th February, 1761. Same (from Borden's executors) to William Davis, £__, 100 acres of 92100; cor. John Scot; cor. said Scot's and Samuel Davise's line; cor. Francis Reynolds, Scot's and Anderson's line.
- Page 184.--11th February, 1761. Same (from Borden's executors) to John Scot, £__, 100 acres of 92100; cor Francis Reynolds and James Anderson; cor. Hays' land; cor. Paxton's land, Davison's line, said Rundal's line.
- Page 233.--7th August, 1765. John Scott and Catherine, William Davis and Mary, to William McCutchen, £105, 200 acres in Borden's tract; corner Francis Randolson, James Anderson's line; corner said Andersen's and Andrew Hays'; corner Thomas Paxton; corner Samuel Daviss. Teste: Andrew Hays, Samuel McDowell, Samuel Henderson, William Patton Delivered to John McCutchen, executor of William, 3d June, 1793.
Other Possible Records
- (Possible Clues to Francis Reynolds' migration?, more research necessary to determine if any of these is the same Francis Reynolds):
- 12 Apr 1765 (Rowan County NC Deed Book 7. pages 90 & 91) "On the 12th April 1765, John HOWARD, innholder. sold William Todd LIVINGSTON of Orange County. N.C. 313 acres of land on the north bank of the Yadkin River below Mill Creek and Mullberry Fields bought of Morgen BRYAN, Junr. and John BRYAN: "adjoining Morgan BRYANT above Francis RENELD'S Improvement ."
- (Rowan County Deed Book 6, pages 265 & 266). In 1769, John HOWARD, innholder, sold Francis REYNOLDS 40 acres of land on both sides Yadkin River below Mulberry Creek adjoining said REYNOLDS'S Land ." Pioneers of Wilkes County, Mrs. W. O. Absher, p. 89) SW: REYOLDS
Note: few records exist of Francis Reynolds, who acquired a 100-acre tract in the south-west section of the Borden Tract in 1761, between the lands of John Scott and William & Samuel Davis. The record of any disposition of his 100-acre tract do not appear to be in Chalkley's records, nor is Francis Reynolds listed in the "Processioning List" of 1765, indicating that he had likely migrated elsewhere.
Records listed above show a Francis Reynolds prior to April 1765 living on the Yadkin River in North Carolina. This is likely this Francis Reynolds, but needs additional records/sources to prove that is is the same person.
Help fund new features!