Francis Gardner, Sr.
Facts and Events
||Francis Gardner, Sr.
||to Esther (add)
||bef. 19 December 1781
||Augusta County, Virginia
Francis Gardner, Sr. was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Land Survey in Virginia:
- Page 244 - Francis Gardner, 136 acres, Buffallo Branch. Adjoining his own land, John Wood. October 8, 1774. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 86]. (Note: Buffalo Branch (sometimes referred to as "Buffalo Lick" Branch or Creek), is a tributary of the Cathey River).
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 518.--17th November, 1757. Francis Gardiner ( ) to Robert Shaw, £5, 95 acres.
Will of Francis Gardner
- Page 203.--30th October. 1781, Francis Gardner. Sr.'s, will--To wife, Esther; to grandson, Francis Gardner; to grandson, Samuel Gardner. Executors, William and James Bell. Teste: Sampson Sawyers. Wm. Sterrett. Wm. Burgess. Proved, 19th December, 1781, by Sterrett. Executors qualify.
- (Note: grandsons Francis and Samuel Gardner listed in this will were sons of Thomas Gardner, who was killed by Indians early in 1764).
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - August 20, 1746 - (74) Cap. Daniel McAnaire to be overseer of above road with following tithables: Samuel Wallis, Alexr. Crawford, John Elliott, David Trimble, John Hogshead, Alexr. Gardner, Sampson Archer, Alexr. Gibson, Robt. Davis, Thomas Gardner, Walter Trimble, John Sixby, David Stuart, Ro. Renix, Francis Gardner, John Trimble, Thomas Beard, Ro. Gilkason, John Archer, James Bell, James Mills, James Dyer, Charles Clendening, Wm. Hogshead, Ro. Ralstone, John Moffet, Saml. Lusk, James Phillips, Danl. Brealey, Mathew Edmonston, James Trimble, John Ferguson, Wm. Anderson, John Spears, John McKenney, Wm. Brady, Ro. Armstrong, James Miller.
- Page 275.--26th May, 1747. Robert Renick, of Augusta, yeoman, to James Miles, farmer, £10; 201 acres on Buffalo's branch, part of the land Robert now lives on. Teste: James Sayers, Francis ( ) Gardner, James Trimble. Acknowleged, 17th June, 1747, by Robert, and dower released by Elizabeth.
- Vol. 1 - FEBRUARY 22, 1762. - (169) Francis Gernor, a juryman.; (170) Francis Gardner, juryman--see page 169, supra.
- Page 340.--19th June, 1764. Rebecca (mark) Gardner's bond (with mark) Thos. Bradshaw, Francis Gardner) as administratrix of Thos. Gardner. (Note: Thomas appears to be a probable sibling).
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 19, 1765. - (234) France Gardner appointed guardian to Robert Boyd, orphan of Robert Boyd.
- Page 386.--19th March, 1765. Francis and Alexander Gardner's bond for Francis Gardner's guardianship (appointed) to Robt. Boyd, orphan of Robt. Boyd.
- Page 111.--17th August, 1768. Robert ( ) Shaw to John Woods, Jr., £40, 95 acres, corner Francis Gardner's land. Teste: Patt. Cunningham. Delivered: Mary Woods, 13th August, U73.
- John Crawford, 398 acres, Buffillo Branch. Adjoining John Wood, Phillips, William Bell, Francis Gardiner, Sagars. October 28, 1774. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 86].