Facts and Events
Francis Cyphers first appears in records of the New River Settlements in 1748, when he is recorded as purchasing items in the estate sale of Frederick Smith. Subsequent land records show him acquiring land in the upper reaches of the North Fork of the Roanoke River.
Records for Francis Cyphers show him owning property (1751-1790's) on the North Fork of the Roanoke River. His homesite was in the upper reaches of the NFR, immediately downstream of McDonalds Mill, and about 15 miles east of Fort George (near Salem, VA), about 15 miles northeast of the home of Richard Hall at the head spring of Meadow Creek. This description fits reasonably well with the location of the red hex in athe accompanying map. 
Land records show that he acquired his NFR property in 1753, and was presumably on this property for a year or so prior to its formal acquisition. Source:Kegley, 1938 tells us that
Francis Cypers and the McDonalds at the head of North Fork purchased their lands from James Patton as representative of the old James River and Roanoke Company, or by Purchase from individuals and entry of new land. Cyphers took possession of his land (400 acres) in 1753 and lived on it about forty years before a title was received. In the meantime (1766) he sold the land to Benj. Paulson and Frederick Smith who divided it by an accepted line.
Other than these land puchases and sales, our records for Francis on the NFR are quite sparse.