Sir Ferdinando Gorges
Facts and Events
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Sir Ferdinando Gorges (1565–1647), the "Father of English Colonization in North America", was an early English colonial entrepreneur and founder of the Province of Maine in 1622, although Gorges himself never set foot in the New World.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ferdinando Gorges, in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia.
- ↑ Smyth, John, and John Maclean. The Berkeley manuscripts: the lives of the Berkeleys, lords of the honour, castle and manor of Berkeley, in the county of Gloucester, from 1066 to 1618, with a description of the hundred of Berkeley and of its inhabitants. (Gloucester: J. Bellows, 1885), 2:185.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Master, George S. Collections for a parochial history of Wraxall. (Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith, 1900), p. 22-24.
- Stephen, Leslie, ed, and Sidney, ed Lee. Dictionary of National Biography. (London: Smith, Elder, 1885-1900), 22:241-243.