Facts and Events
Evan Thomas was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 274.--20th May, 1765. James Thomas and Sarah to Evan Thomas, £15, 165 acres, part of 350 acres patented to Cornelius Cook, 20th September, 1748, and conveyed by him to Reece Thomas, deceased, father to said James Thomas, on Brock's Creek. Delivered: Evan Thomas, June 1770. Teste: John Thomas.
- Page 21.--16th May, 1768. Francis Green and Margaret ( ) to Evan Thomas, 5 shillings, 240 acres on Middle Branch of Linvel's Creek joining one Hite and near a survey of Daniel Harrison patented to Francis, 29th May, 1760; also a tract containing 20 acres joining his own land patented to Francis, 10th November, 1757, Daniel Harrison's line; Hite's line. Teste: Robert Culwell, Thomas Pickens, Thomas Bowen. Delivered: Evan Thomas. 24th November, 1787.
- Page 26.--17th May, 1768. Same to same (Francis Green and Margaret to Evan Thomas), 5 shillings, 22 acres on a branch of Linvel's Creek near foot of Round Hill joining George Bowman, patented to Francis 10th November, 1757. Delivered: As above.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 419.--18th August, 1770. Evan Thomas and Rebekah to Rees Thomas, £55, 165 acres, part of 350 acres patented to Cornelius Cook, 20th September, 1748, and by him conveyed to Rees Thomas, deceased, father to James Thomas, who conveyed to Evan Thomas, on Brock's Creek. Teste: Daniel Smith, Jacob Bear, John George Kipp.
Records of Evan Thomas in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 298.--21st December, 1758. Rees Thomas' will, farmer--To wife Jean, tract of patent land on Brock's Creek, 350 acres, until son Evan Thomas shall be of age; to son Rees Thomas; to son John Thomas; to son James Thomas; to his daughters and his wife's daughters. Executors, wife Jean and son John. Teste: John Alderson, Elizabeth Kimsey, William Bodeker. Proved, 16th May, 1759, by Alderson and Bodeker. Executors qualified, with Ephraim Love and Abraham Bird.
- Page 79.--19th August, 1761. Mary Jackson's (late Mary Claypole) settlement of estate of William Claypole recorded--To Jno. Wright, Francis McBride, Jno. Dunbar, Jno. and Jos. Claypole, Mr. Johns, Evan Thomas. Sale bill, viz: To Robert Williams, Jersmons Peir, Arthur Trader, Moses Samples, John Douglass, Jno. Arshers, James Cohoon, Dennis Henry, Wm. Cimsey, Andw. Sedusky, Rees Thomas, Henry Harvey.
- Chalkley's Chronicles
Help fund new features!