Æthelred II "the Unready" , de Wessex
Facts and Events
||Æthelred II "the Unready" , de Wessex
||Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, England
||from 0978 to 1016
||EnglandKing of England
||House of Wessex
||to Ælfgifu , of York
||5 Apr 1002
||Winchester Cathedral, Winchester, Hampshire, Englandto Emma , of Normandy
||23 Apr 1016
||St. Paul's Cathedral, London, England
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Æthelred the Unready, or Æthelred II (circa 968 – 23 April 1016), was king of England (978–1013 and 1014–1016). He was son of King Edgar and Queen Ælfthryth. Æthelred was only about 10 (no more than 13) when his half-brother Edward was murdered. Æthelred was not personally suspected of participation, but as the murder was committed at Corfe Castle by the attendants of Ælfthryth, it made it more difficult for the new king to rally the nation against the military raids by Danes, especially as the legend of St Edward the Martyr grew.
From 991 onwards, Æthelred paid tribute, or Danegeld, to the Danish King. In 1002, Æthelred ordered a massacre of Danish settlers. In 1003, King Sweyn invaded England and in 1013, Æthelred fled to Normandy and was replaced by Sweyn, who was also king of Denmark. However, Æthelred returned as king after Sweyn died in 1014.
"Unready" is a mistranslation of Old English unræd (meaning bad-counsel) —a twist on his name "Æthelred" (meaning noble-counsel). A better translation would be ill-advised.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ethelred the Unready, in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. (Online: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.).
- Burke's Peerage, Eng. P 99 ed, p. 251.
- Anglo-Saxon Bishops, Kings & Nobles, Eng. 104, p. 347-51, 359.
- Keiser und Loenig Hist., Gen. Hist. 25, pt 1, p. 96-97.
- Lewis Topogr. Dict., v. 4, p. 508.
- The Royal Line of Succession, A16A225, p. 7.
- Dict. of Nat'l Biog., Eng. Pub. A, v. 18, p. 27-33.
- George's Tab., Eng. 102, Tab. 1.
- Hist. of the Anglo-Saxons, Eng. 36, v. 2, p. 260-86, 305, 320.
- Plantagenet Ancestry, Eng. 116, p. 21.
- Anderson's Royal Gen., Eng. 132, p. 740.
- Betham's Gen. Tab., Eng. 133, Tab. 601, 602.
- Espolin (GS #12462, pt 1, p. 102).
- Ethelred the Unready, in Find A Grave.
- Æthelred II 'the Unready', King of England, in Lundy, Darryl. The Peerage: A genealogical survey of the peerage of Britain as well as the royal families of Europe.
- ÆTHELRED, son of EDGAR "the Peaceable" King of England & his second wife Ælfthryth of Devon (-London 23 Apr 1016, bur Old St Paul's Cathedral)., in Cawley, Charles. Medieval Lands: A prosopography of medieval European noble and royal families.
- ↑ Æthelred II "the Unready", in Baldwin, Stewart, and Todd Farmerie. The Henry Project (King Henry II ): Ancestors of King Henry II.