Facts and Events
Elvira Richey was born in Blount Springs, Jefferson, Alabama, the daughter of John Richey and Martha M. __(?). In 1839, she came with her parents to Red River, Texas where her father purchased land and became associated with Henry Stout and his son, Selen Stout. She and James Selen Stout were married about 1840. They lived for a short time in Lamar county, then moved together with the Richey families to Daingerfield. From here, James Selen Stout came in August, 1841, with county surveyor Levi Jordan, and surveyed the William B. Stout survey which included the land where Pine Forest was later located. The survey was one-third of the headright of W. B. Stout's 1,479 acres. Selen bought the land from his uncle, William B. Stout. A mile east of what became Pine Forest, on the east bank of Stout's Creek, a log church for all denominations was built, called Mt. Pisgah. This building was also used for a school, and later came to be known as the old Bumblebee school named after the large number of bumblebees that nested in the sweet gum logs.
Elvira and Selen would have eleven children and live out their lives on their home in Hopkins County. Elvira and Selen are buried at Pine Forest.
Elvira W Stout signed her part to her mother, Martha, in the estate of her father, John Richey: