Facts and Events
Mrs Elizabeth Atkins
Widespread regret was expressed on the Lansdowne and Lower. Manning on Wednesday when. the news circulated that Mrs. Elizabeth Atkins, wife of Mr. Geo. Atkins, of Lansdowne, had passed away, at her, home at 5a.m. that day. Deceased was. practically confined to her bed for the past six months, but she bore her long illness with the fortitude that was characteristic of her. She was a daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Richard Porter, of Back Hill, Scarsdale (Vic.) .where she was born 79 years ago. At the age of about 25 she came to Mitche1l‘s Island to live with an aunt, and some three years later she was married to Mr. Atkins, the ceremony being performed at the Cundle Church of England by the late Canon Phillips. The first 21 years of their married life was spent on Mitchell’s Is1and, and then they went on to a farm at Upper Lansdowne. After 4 or 5 years they gave up work on the farm, since have lived quietly at Lansdowne. The late Mrs. Atkins was a lady who had the happy knack of making friends, and her demise is genuinely mourned by all who knew her. She was devoted to her home, and was a faithful member of her church, setting a huge example to all who came into contact with her. In addition to the bereaved husband she is survived by the following children: Messrs Victor and Newton Atkins (Upper Lansdowne), Stanley Atkins (Lansdowne), George Atkins (Mitchell’s Island), Mesdames Jas. McCaffrey (Hannam Vale), A.V. Schubert (Upper Lansdowne), and S. Thompson (Ballendeen (Q). One daughter died in infancy. She is survived by two brothers, Constable Josiah Porter, and Mr. Dave Porter, both of Victoria, and two sisters, Mrs Jabez Richards, of the Wingham road and, and Mrs Shepherd of Victoria. At 12 noon on Thursday the funeral moved from her late home to the Scott's Creek Church, where a service was conducted,by Rev. J. S.Bullouga, after which the remains were interred in the Scott's Creek cemetery beside those of her infant daughter. The funeral was attended by many old friends, and numerous beautiful wreaths were laid on the grave, Mr. S. A. Bridge carried out the funeral arrangements.
|ELIZABETH the third child of Richard and Phyllis was born at Smythesdale on. August 5th. 1859. It is understood that Elizabeth travelled from Scarsdale to Cundletown N.S.W. to work for her aunt, Harriet Mudford, nee Patten, and sister of Phyllis. Harriet ran a boarding establishment and was also a midwife.
Elizabeth married George Atkins at Cundletown on August 1st, 1897 and they made their home at Mitchells Island where they raised seven children one, Daisy, having died in infancy. A grandson, Ronald Atkins, now occupies the farm.
George and Elizabeth later bought a farm at Upper Lansdowne which their eldest son, Victor, took over on his marriage. They then moved onto another farm nearby which was in later years taken over by the youngest son, Newton.
In the meantime the original farm at Mitchells Island was occupied firstly by daughter, Effie May and her husband, James McCaffrey, and later by son, Melbourne, the father of Ronald.
In 1916 George built a house in the Lansdowne village which he sold and built a second house in which he and Elizabeth spent the rest of their lives. Elizabeth died in 1939 and George in 1942. They are buried in the grounds of St. Mark’s Church of England, Scott’s Creek, Mitchell’s. Island.
Australian Cemeteries website. 
||17 May 1939
||Scotts Creek Anglican