Facts and Events
- Will of Elizabeth "Glass" Vance
- Frederick Co., VA: Will book 5, page 110.
- In the name of God Amen. The twelfth day of November Anno Domini One Thousabd Seven Hundred and Eighty One, I Elizabeth Vance of the County of Frederick and State of VA being old and week in body but of sound and perfick memory and knowing the uncertainly of this life on earth and being desirous to settle things in order, do make this my last will and testament in manner & form following that is to say first and principally I command my soul to Almighty God who gave it and body to the earth from which it was taken to be buried in such decent and Christian manner as to my Exectors here after named shall be through and Convenient abd such worldly Estate as the lord in mercy hath bestowed upon me my will and meaning is the same shall be employed and bestowed and transferred by this My Last Will and Testament. I____ and first I do make_____ and make void all wills by me formerly made and declare and appoint this my last will and testament.
- Item: I give and bequeath unto my son William Vance that plantation or track of Land whereon he the said William Vance now lives.
- Item: I give and Bequeath to my son James David Vance my Negro man named Tom. Item: I give and Bequeath to my Daughter Sarah Gilkison my Negro wench named Rose togeather with said Negro bed and bed cloaths, Spinning wheel and one chest. I like wise give and Bequeath my wearing Apparil to be equally divided between my two Daughters Mary Willson and Sarah Gilkison.
- Item: I give and Bequeth the remaining part of my person Estate to be equally divided in three shares the one I give and Bequeath to my son Samuel Vance another share to my son William Vance & another share to be divided between my grand children. Viz James Willson and Elizabeth Willson. James's part of which to be paid him at my decease if at age and Elizabeth part to be kept in the Executors hands for the use of said Elixabeth Willson and to be paid to her when they think proper and it is my will and desire that Samuel Vance, John Gilkison abd William Vance should be my Executors of this my last will and Testament in witness whereof I have Hereunto set my hand and Seal the day and year above written.
- (Signed) Elizabeth Vance [Her Mark]
- Wm Chipley
- Sarah Chipley
- Elizabeth Chipley
- Sarah Bell Chipley
- Page 111 - At a court held for Frederick Co., VA the 6th day of October 1785.
- This last Will and Testament of Elizabeth Vance was proved by the Oaths of William Chipley, Elizabeth Chipley and Sarah Bell Chipley three of the Witnesses thereto and ordered to be Recorded and on the motion of William Vance one of the Executors thereon named who made oath therto Certificate is granted him for obtaining a probate through in due from giving Security whereupon he will Security entered into and acknowledged bond Conditioned as the Law directs.
- By the Court:
- Ja Keith CFC
Help fund new features!