Facts and Events
||19 Jun 1846
||Lawrence Street, North Riding of Yorkshire, England
||Englandto Canada West
||14 Jan 1861
||Reach, Ontario, Ontario, Canada1861 Census of Canada West
||11 Mar 1864
||Reach, Ontario, Ontario, Canadato Henry Lyle
||2 April 1871
||Reach, Ontario, Ontario, Canada1871 Census of Canada
||2 Mar 1881
||Manchester, Reach, Ontario, Ontario, Canadato William Gilroy
||4 April 1881
||Reach, Ontario, Ontario, Canada1881 Census of Canada
||5 April 1891
||Reach, Ontario, Ontario, Canada1891 Census of Canada
||31 Mar 1901
||Uxbridge, Ontario, Ontario, Canada1901 Census of Canada
||28 Apr 1903
||Uxbridge, Ontario, Ontario, Canadato Oliver Nelson Young
||1 Jun 1911
||Uxbridge, Ontario, Ontario, Canada1911 Census of Canada
||19 Nov 1931
||Etobicoke, York, Ontario, Canada
||Park Lawn Cemetery, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Elizabeth Atkinson was born in Lawrence Street, a community which is now part of the city of York in England. As a very young child she emigrated with her family to Ontario, then known as Canada West. They settled in a rural township then named Reach in the County of Ontario, now part of Scugog Township in Durham Region.
Elizabeth had two older brothers who were listed with the family in the 1861 census. The elder, William, was noted as absent from home. There are no further sightings of either him nor the next brother, John. Elizabeth's younger brother, Thomas, married and lived locally for a while before moving on.
In 1865 Elizabeth's mother, Judith Matilda, died.
In 1864 she married Henry Lyle, a son of George and Martha Lyle, who had a farm in the local area. In the 1871 census the young couple are found on the farm which ten years earlier had been farmed by her father. In 1873 they gave up the farm and bought into a house in the small hamlet of Manchester. Another child was born in that year.
Early in 1876, when Elizabeth had just found herself pregnant again, Henry's bronchitis developed into pneumonia and he died on 13 February. Throughout the next five years Elizabeth was obliged to keep her family with the assistance of her father, Ambrose, and her younger brother, Thomas.
In 1881 she married another local farmer, William Gilroy, a widower with five children. The census of 1881 lists this family only a month after the wedding. Two further children, Milton and Merle, were born to William and Elizabeth during the next ten years. Elizabeth's daughter, Matilda, married and moved to the larger town of Uxbridge. Some of William's older children moved away from the farm. George Ambrose, Elizabeth's oldest son by Henry Lyle, died of typhoid fever in 1894.
In 1897 William died and Elizabeth found herself a widow again. She moved into Uxbridge with her two Gilroy children.
- ↑ General Register Office. England and Wales Civil Registration. (London: General Register Office).
Certificate not obtained, but index consulted. Entry in second quarter of 1846 which conflicts with information on death registration.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Reg'n 039626/31, in Ontario, Canada. Ontario Deaths,1869-1937 and Overseas Deaths, 1939-1947. (Toronto, Ontario, Canada: Archives of Ontario), MS 935, Reel 431 p 371, 15 Nov 1931.
15 Nov 1931 at Etobicoke Township in the County of York, Elizabeth Young died [street address], Islington. Registration gave birthdate of 7 Jun 1845 and length of life as 86yrs 5mths 8days. In Canada 84 years. Parents Ambrose Atkinson and Matilda Young. Buried Park Lawn Cemetery.
- ↑ Canada. 1861 Census of Canada. (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Library and Archives Canada), C-1058, Page 77, line 24ff, 14 Jan 1861, Primary quality.
District of Ontario County, Division of the Township of Reach
Fourth Concession, lot 12
Ambrose Atkinson, farmer, b England, 45, m
Judith M Atkinson, b England, 39, m
Wm Atkinson, b England, 18, s, absent
John Atkinson, b England, 17
Elizabeth Atkinson, b England, 16
Thomas G Atkinson, b England, 14
- ↑ Canada. 1871 Census of Canada. (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Library and Archives Canada), C-0075; page 36, family 124, 2 Apr 1871, Primary quality.
Ontario, District 49: Ontario North, Subdistrict b: Reach, Division 3
Henry Lyle, m, 32, b Ontario, farmer
Elizabeth Lyle, m, 25, b Ontario
Judith M Lyle, 3 b Ontario
George A Lyle, 7 months, b Ontario
- ↑ Canada. 1881 Census of Canada. (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Library and Archives Canada), C-13245, page 22, Family 109 Ontario, District 133: Ontario North, SubDistrict B: Reach, Division 1, 4 Apr 1881, Primary quality.
William Gilroy, 46, m, b Ontario, farmer
Elizabeth Gilroy, 35, m, b England
[five children of William Gilroy]
Judith Matilda Lyle, 14, s, b Ontario
George Ambrose Lyle, 11, b Ontario
John Henry Dell Lyle, 8, b Ontario
Henry Wilmer Lyle, 4, b Ontario
A number of corrections have been made to the facts about the Lyle children in this census entry. The census took place less than a month after the marriage of Elizabeth Atkinson Lyle to William Gilroy.
- ↑ Canada. 1891 Census of Canada. (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Library and Archives Canada), T-6358, Ontario, District 101: Ontario South, Subdistrict 40: Reach, Division 7, page 8, family 43, 5 Apr 1891, Primary quality.
William Gilroy, 54, m, b Ontario, Methodist, farmer
Elizabeth Gilroy, 43, m, b England, Methodist
[three children of William Gilroy at home]
Milton Gilroy, 6, s, b Ontario
Merle Gilroy, 1, s, b Ontario
George Lyle, 20, s, b Ontario, stockman
John Delbert Lyle, 17, s, b Ontario, farm labourer
Harry Lyle, 14, s, b Ontario
- ↑ Canada. 1901 Census of Canada. (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Library and Archives Canada), T-6487, Ontario, District 99: Ontario West, SubDistrict E: Uxbridge, Division 3, page 7, family 78, 31 Mar 1901, Primary quality.
Elizabeth Gilroy, 52, b England 7 Jun 1848, widow
Milton Gilroy, 16, b Ontario, 21 Jun 1885
Merle Gilroy, 11, b Ontario, 22 Sep 1890
- ↑ Canada. 1911 Census of Canada. (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Library and Archives Canada), T-20388, Ontario, District 103: Ontario North, SubDistrict 40: Uxbridge, division 3, page 11, family 139, 1 Jun 1911, Secondary quality.
Maretta Street, Uxbridge
Elizabeth Young, f, head, widow, born June 1846, 64, b England, immigrated 1847, living on income
Merle Gilroy, f, daughter, s Sep 1889, 21, b Ontario, millener
Help fund new features!