m. abt 1642
m. 30 Apr 1689
Facts and Events
Was with Capt. Turner at Peskeompskut (Falls Fight) 18 May 1676 and came out without a scratch.
He and his brother Gershom were taxed on Lot 15 in Hadley, the family home, in January 1681/2. One of the first permanent settlers in Deerfield in the 1680s. Deerfield was settled then burned out several times by Indians, including a massacre in 1704 that killed all of his brother John’s family and many others, though his immediate family escaped unharmed. Eleazer was active in the town, known as “Deacon” by 1699. He served as town selectman and on various committees off and on from 1691 to 1726.
HERE LYES Ye BODY OF DEACON ELEAZER HAWKS DYED MARCH Ye 27th 1727 IN Ye 72d YEAR OF HIS AGE AND ALSO Mrs JUDETH HAWKS WIFE TO DEACON ELEAZER HAWKS DECd JANy Ye 27 1718 IN Ye 54th YEAR OF HER AGE.
From "History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts".,Vol. II, Louis H. Everts, Press of J.B. Lippincott & Co.,Philadelphia, 1879. page 595:
"To answer frequent inquiry as to the origin of these names, some information may be given...."Bars," where the common field-fence crossed the road to Hatfield; in this fence was a set of slip-bars, for the accomodation of travelers. In the early days of our history cattle were fenced out instead of in."
"The Bars" was the section of Deerfield, Mass where these bars were located.
The Bars fight was the last attack upon the town of Deerfield on August 25th,1746, after the fall of Fort Massachusetts, at Hoosac on August 20th. Eleazer Hawks was killed by a party of Indians who came to Deerfield after the seige of Fort Massachusetts looking for captives and/or scalps. Two good narratives of the fight are given in:
1."Lucy Terry Prince,Singer of History,"by David R. Proper, A publication of the Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association & Historic Deerfield, Inc.1997.pages 16 - 20.