Facts and Events
Dennis Byrne was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Dennis Byrne's land (Beverley Manor NE, 567 acres, 1740) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 211-14. 23-24 July 1740. William Beverley of Essex County, Gent., to Denis Bryne of Orange County. Lease and release; for ₤19.8.4 current money. 567 acres in that part of Orange County called Augusta in Beverley Manor... corner to Robert Turk... corner to Finley... Samuel Guy's line to George Home's corner... (signed) W. Beverley. Wit: Robert Green, W. Russell, Hen. Bryne. 25 July 1740. Acknowledged by Wm. Beverley, Gent. [Relinquishment of dower as above, Beverley to Palmer]. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 4, Dorman, pg. 48].
Disposition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 135-140. 26-27 March 1742. Denis Bryne of St. Thomas' Parish, Orange County, to Thomas Chew of same, Gent. Lease and release; for ₤20 current money. 567 acres in Beverley Manner... corner to Robert Tuck (s/b Robert Turk) and Lott No. 1... Finley's line... Samuell Gray's [?] (Gay's) line to George Home's corner... (signed) D. Bryne Wit: Jas. Pickett, John Quin, Drewry Moore. 27 March 1742. Acknowledged by Denis Bryne and Sarah his wife. Sary relinquished her right of dower. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 5, Dorman, pg. 8].
Records of Dennis Byrne in Orange County, VA
- Petition of Denis Bryne that in November last the Court gave an order for clearing a road from the piny mountain run up to the ridge above Lynch's Quarter and nominated William Bryan surveyor of same and the petitioner to assist in clearing. Petitioner being a schoolmaster begs judgement whether the surveyor can lawfully compel him to assist in clearing the road. [Orange County Judgements, 1736, Dorman, pg. 74].
- Pages 194-98. 23-24 Nov. 1737. Henry Kendal of Orange County to Spencer Bobo of Caroline County. Lease and release; for ₤30 current money. 150 acres... at a corner of John Michael Holt's on a hill on the north side of the Robinson River... corner of Thomas Walker... (signed) Henry Kendall. Wit: D. Bryne, Tho. Downer, Henry Isbell. 24 Nov. 1737. Acknowledged by Henry Kendall. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 2, Dorman, pg. 45].
- Pages 235-40. 22-23 Feb. 1737/8. Thomas Hamm of St. Margarets Parish, Caroline County, to Henry Bell of St. Marie's Parish, in said county. Lease and release; for ₤55 current money. 1,000 acres at the foot of the Great Mountains, being a whole pattent to Thomas Hamm by Wm. Gooch, Esq., 28 Sept. 1728... oak of Erasmus Taylor... corner of Zacharias Taylor. (signed) Thos. (T) Ham. Wit: John Newport, James Lindsey, D. Bryne. 23 Feb. 1737  Acknowledged by Thomas Hamm. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 2, Dorman, pg. 47].
- Pages 280-84. 21-22 March 1737 . Erasmus Taylor of Orange County to John Ennis of same. Lease and release; for ₤20 current money. 150 acres near the foot of the Great Mountains, part of a greater tract containing 1,000 acres granted to Erasmus Taylor... in George Taylor's line... near the foot of Parker's Mountain... on the side of Parker's Mountain in James Maddison's line... corner to Timothy Johnson in low grounds... (signed) Erasmus Taylor. Wit: D. Bryne, Ambrose Powell. 23 March 1737 . Acknowledged by Erasmus Taylor. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 2, Dorman, pg. 49].
- Pages 300-04. 26 April 1738. John Ennis of Orange County to John Tilley of same. Lease and release; for ₤30 current money. 200 acres on Sherrando River in the form of a long square... down the river... on a barren hill on the side of the river, part of 5,000 acres taken up by Jacob Stover... (signed) John (X) Ennis. Wit: D. Bryne, Francis (F) Williams, William (W) Morton. 27 April 1738. Proved by Dennis Bryne, Francis Williams and Wm. Morton. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 2, Dorman, pf. 50].
Records of Dennis Byrne in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - Williams vs. Alexander--Original deed by Thomas Chew to Saml. Gay, 26th July, 1745. Letter to attorney by George Williams, late of the County of Augusta, but resident in County of Ross in Ohio. Original deed by Beverley to Danis Bryne, 23d July, 1740, 567 acres in Beverley Manor, corner Robt. Turk, corner Finley, Saml. Guy's line, George Home's corner. Original deed, 15th June, 1757. Saml. Givens and Martha to John Williams.
Possible will of this Dennis Bryne? (needs additional research):
- Page 428.--19th October, 1791. Nuncupative will of Dennis Burns who has for a considerable time had his residence and boord with John Bell-- To John Bell, all estate; he died 24th October, 1791. Teste: Edward Erwin, Rebeckah Stephenson, James Stephenson. Proved, 20th December, 1791, by the Stephensons.
- Page 34.--25th February, 1792. Dennis Burns' estate appraised by Wm. Young, Jno. Gamble, Abraham Griffith.