Facts and Events
||David D.D. Runciman
||Wantonwalls, Par. of Lauder, Berwickshire, Scotland, 55.726351,-2.720889
||30 MAR 1804
||Earlston, Berwickshire, Scotland, 55.640496,-2.667639
||16 AUG 1836
||Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotlandto Janet Aitchison
||Edinburgh St Cuthberts, Canongate, Midlothian, Scotlandwith Janet Aitchison
||Barony, Lanarkshire, Scotlandwith Janet Aitchison
||Srpingburn, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotlandwith Janet Aitchison
||12 SEP 1872
||Elie, Fife, Scotland, 56.190801,-2.817634
||Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
- ↑ Lorna Henderson & others. Family of George Jennet (FINLAY) RUNCIMAN of Westruther, Compiler Address: Waikanae, New Zealand. (1996 and ongoing).
- ↑ Scottish Birth, Marriage, Death entries (from 1855), Record Type: Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), File Numb, Dth cert 1872 David RUNCIMAN DD, copy d/loaded Sep 2005.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Scottish Birth, Marriage, Death entries (from 1855), Record Type: Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), File Numb, Birth cert 1855 Elizabeth RUNCIMAN, copy d/loaded Sep 2005.
- ↑ H D W. RUNCIMAN Correspondence, Recipient: L Henderson (1), Address: Edinburgh, Scotland, Author E-mail:, 1872 Obituary of the Rev. Dr RUNCIMAN, from the Edinburgh Courant, Sat Sep 14 1872, transcription rcvd Sep 2005.
- ↑ Scotlands People Index. OPR Berwick, Scotland RUNCIMAN Births, Author Address: scotlandspeople.gov.uk, Recipient Address: Berwick, Sco. (1538-1854), RUNCIMAN births 1700 to 1820 Earlston, Berwickshire, index searched Oct 2005.
- ↑ H D W. RUNCIMAN Correspondence, Recipient: L Henderson (1), Address: Edinburgh, Scotland, Author E-mail:, 1872 Obituary of the Rev. Dr RUNCIMAN, from the Edinburgh Courant, Sat Sep 14 1872, transcription received Sep 1996.
- ↑ Scottish Birth, Marriage, Death entries (from 1855), Record Type: Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), File Numb, Dth 12 Sep 1872 David s/o David RUNCIMAN & Janet LOCKIE, Elie, Fife, 427 #4, copy d/loaded Sep 2005.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 David RUNCIMAN. RUNCIMAN Corres. ex David ESP, Recipient: Lorna Henderson, Address: Girona, ESP, Author E-mail:, Dr David RUNCIMAN, A Brief History of our Branch of the Runciman Family, rcvd May 2007.
- ↑ Lorna Henderson. RUNCIMAN One Name Study, Author Address:, Link added Dec 2011.
- ↑ Lorna Henderson. RUNCIMAN Analysis, Author Address:, Sep and Dec 2005, May 2007.
- ↑ Scottish Birth, Marriage, Death entries (from 1855), Record Type: Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), File Numb, Dth 1855 Ann Cumin RUNCIMAN, from RUNCIMAN dths 1855-1870,index d/loaded Oct 2005.
- ↑ Sally HAW. RUNCIMAN/AITHCESON Corres., Recipient: Lorna Henderson, Address: Cape Schanck, Victoria, Australia, Author E-m, Rcvd Aug 2006.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 The University of Glasgow Story, Url: www.universitystory.gla.ac.uk/, 1849 David RUNCIMAN, D.D, b. 30 Mar 1804 d. 12 Sep 1872, online at http://www.universitystory.gla.ac.uk/biography/?id=WH16070&type=P&o=&start=0&max=20&l=, extracted Jan 2012.
- H D W. RUNCIMAN Correspondence, Recipient: L Henderson (1), Address: Edinburgh, Scotland, Author E-mail:.
- ↑ (date assumed to be baptism rather than birth, given Wantonwalls, his stated birthplace, is in Lauder - no mother's name given in index)
- ↑ cert reads: David Runciman, Minister of St Andrews Parish, Glasgow married to Janet Aitchison, aged 68 died 11:7am at Elie (plus some bits I can't read), of diabetes, cert. by John Kennedy MD to Elie, s/o David Runciman farmer and Janet m.s. Lockie, both dec., inf. dtr in law I A Runciman (nee Leishman, wife of his son David Williamson Runciman) See * below for his obituary.
- ↑ "2 or 3 rows behind the John Knox's memorial, by the Cathedral"
- ↑ David belongs to a DNA tested line. For further information, see David's page in the Runciman One Name Study
- ↑ By the time that the youngest dtr Elizabeth was born in 1855 the family had already lost one boy and one girl of their 10 children. The boy has to be James Brody, as all the other boys are accounted for beyond this date, the girl was subsequently found to be Anne
David and Janet's family spread far and wide. In just the few days I initially concentrated on connecting my Margaret and John to the Wantonwalls Runciman family I found descendants as far apart as Sth Africa (sons John and William); Argentina (sons Alexander Ewing and Robert Inglis, and dtr Elizabeth), and New Zealand (son David Williamson), with an as yet unconfirmed sighting of a possible descendant in Barcelona (now confirmed as a descendant, unsure if he's still there). Subsequent research has added Portland, Maine, USA (grdson Louis Spring R. married there - for the 1st time), San Francisco (grdson Alexander) and Henley on Thames (grdson Louis Spring R's 2nd marriage). It has also confirmed that the family shared a physical trait mentioned in his obituary (see * below) in his being above average height. At least 2 of his grandsons show up in immigration records as being 6'4". And in Aug 2006 Australia was added to the list as one of the Sth African descendants of John emigrated there. Now, May 2007, I've added France and another in Spain to the list, and the important information that he, Dr David was the originator of the "David Stakes". The Runciman family have a silver and coral baby's rattle, bought by Dr David and deemed to belong to the father of the first David R to be born in the next generation. Currently held by David in Spain
Love to hear from any of the descendants - short or tall!