Facts and Events
David McCampbell was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
- David McCampbell's Admr bond
- Know all men by these presents that we Margaret McCampbell, Michael Johnson and John Owen Sullivan are held and firmly bound to John Bowyer, Saml McDowell, Charles Campbell, Saml. Lyle, Alexander Stuart, John Trimble, & John Gilmore Gentlemen Justices of the Court of Rockbridge now sitting in the sum of four Hundred pounds Current Money of Virginia payment whereof well and truly to be made to the said Justices and their Successors. We bind ourselves and each of us, our and each of our Heirs, Executors, and Admrs, Jointly and severally firmly by these presents. Sealed with our Seals this fifth Day of the second year of the Commonwelath.
- The Condition of the above obligation is such that if the above bound Margaret McCampbell Administratrix of all the Goods, Chattles and Credits of David McCampbell Deceased do make or cause to be made a true and perfect Inventory of all and Singular the Goods, Chatles, and Credits of the said Deceased which have or shall come to the hands and possession of any other person for her and the same so made do exhibit or earn to be exhibited into the County Court of Rockbridge, at wich time as she shall be thereunto Required by the said Court, and the same Goods, &c, at the time of his Death which at any time after shall come to the hands or possession of the said Administratrix, or into the hands or possession of any other person or persons for her, do well and truly Administer According to Law and farther do make a Just and true account of all actings and doings therein, when thereto Required by the said Court and all the rest and residue of the said Goods & c which shall be found Remaining upon the said admins account (the same being first examined and allowed by the Justices of the Court for the time being) shall Deliver and pay unto such person or persons Respectively as the said Justices by their Order, or Judgment, shall direct, persuant to the Law in that Case made and provided and if it shall hereafter appear that any last will and Testament was made by the said Deceased, and the Executor orExecutors therein Named do exhibit the same into the said Court making Request to have it allowed and approved accordingly, if therefore the said Administratrix being thereto Required to render and Deliver up all Letters of Administration, Aprobation of such Testament being had and made in such Court, Then this Obligation to be void or else to Remain in full force and Virtue.
- Sealed & Delivered in presence of
- Margaret McCampbell (seal)
- Michl Johnson (seal)
- John Owen Sullivan (seal)
- At a Court held for Rockbridge County May the 5th 1778
- The Bond was Acknowledged by Margaret McCampbell Michl Johnson & John Owen Sullivan to be their Acts and Deeds which is Ordered to be Recorded.
- Teste Andrew Reid Clk
- [Rockbridge County, Virginia Will Book 1, pp. 11-12]
Help fund new features!