Col. David Campbell
d.18 AUG 1832
Facts and Events
David Campbell was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
|Person:David Campbell (46)||1705||1790||1734||Mary Hamilton||John (205) ||Grace Hays||White David; Evidence for father weak
|Person:David Campbell (47)||1750||1812||1779||Elizabeth Outlaw||David (46)||Mary Hamilton||Judge
|Person:David Campbell (55)||1710 ||1753 ||1739||Jane Cunningham ||Alexander (46) ||? ||Black David
|Person:David Campbell (48)||1753 ||1832 ||1) c1772|
|1) Margaret Campbell (103)|
|David (55) ||Jane Cunningham ||Col David Campbell
|Person:David Campbell (52)||1781 ||1841 ||1806||Catherine Bowen || Col David (48)|| Margaret Campbell (103)||Never in Old Augusta.
- Nathaniel Cowan for 125 pds, 2 sh. by Jas Cowan to Marg. Humes & David Campbell who has married Jane Glascow Cowan, now dec. heir of Jas Cowan, Dec., 2 parcels of land in Knoxville; David get 1/3 of live on, Margaret Humes gets 1/3, other 2 heirs 1/3; they get all on deaths of David Campbell and Margaret Humes; Ack 2 May 1817; rec 12 Dec 1817; Wit: Robt Campbell, Wm. Hockton ? Jas. White to Nath Cowan, Book Q, Vol. 1, p. 268--1/2 A. near Knoxville, l0 Jan 1818, $35, beg S side of River St. to corner of Lots 1 & 16...to Hugh L. White's line; 17 Jan 1818; reg 30 Jan 1818; Wit: H. Ramsey, R. M. Miller. [Source: Knox County, Book N, p. 214].
- Nathaniel Cowan vs. David Campbell & wife Jean, widow of Saml. Cowan, and Wm. M. & Polly P. Cowan, heirs of Saml Cowan; final hearing to determine substance of complaintants bill; Nathl & Saml. were business partners & merchants; bought several lots in Knoxville with joint funds: Lots 1, 2, 16, & 44 in lst Div.; Lots 1 & 16 were improved with houses; Lots1, 2, & 16 conveyed to Saml; Lot 44 to Nathl; actually should be owned jointly. Prior to death of Saml. they dissolved partnership by mutual consent; in dissolving Lots 2 & 16 were assigned to Saml; 1 & 44 to Nathl. At that time, Knoxville hadn't been marked with precision, lines of division on 1 & 16 assigned as best suited buildings on each. Saml. took over 2 & 16; didn't interfere with 1 & 44; Nathl did same. No deeds of partition ever executed. Saml. died 1801; widow married David Campbell, who was guardian of children; he refused to execute deed for Lots 1 & 44; Complaintant asks that they be divested of all rights to Lots 1 & 44, which should be given to Nathl. The heirs were given the right to contest when they reached 21; 31 May 1819; reg. 26 Oct 1820. [source: Knox County Deed Book R, Vol. 1, p. 461].
From "David Campbell Kelley - Confederate soldier and Methodist Minister", by Nelson McCausland:
- His mother (of Rev. John Kelley (1801-1864) was Margaret Lavinia Campbell (1805-1877), daughter of Colonel David Campbell (1753-1832) of Knox County, Tennessee, and Jane Montgomery, daughter of Colonel Hugh Montgomery of Salisbury, North Carolina. Colonel David Campbell was the son of 'Black David' Campbell, who was born in county Londonderry in 1710 and emigrated from Ulster to America, where he died in Augusta County, Virginia, in November 1753. [Source: http://ulsternashville.blogspot.com/2011/01/david-campbell-kelley-confederate.html].
From "Tennessee Cousins", by Worth S. Ray, pg. 247:
Judge David Campbell established his home on the North Balk of the Little Tennessee river near the present town of Lenoir, which he sold to William Ballard Lenoir of North Carolina, who permanently settled at that point, where his descendants continued to reside, & Judge Campbell moved to Rhead County. On the death of his first wife, Judge Campbell married Jane Montgomery, who was married to Samuel Cowan in Hawkins County & whose first husband moved to Knox County and Knoxville where he was a prominent merchant.
4. Colonel David Campbell (1753-1832)
David was the youngest child of Black David Campbell having been born in August 1753 only a few months before the death of his father in November of the same year. Like his brother, he was raised by his uncles, William, Robert and Alexander. In 1774, he married Margaret Campbell, a daughter of White David Campbell, and settled on a small farm in the vicinity of the modern day town of Abingdon. In about 1782, David and Margaret removed to Washington County, North Carolina (now part of Tennessee). On 23 October 1782, David patented 153 acres of land on the east side of the "Mirey" branch of the Big Limestone, near land also patented by Charles Allison in 1782. David was then living in the same area as his brother William, and his uncles, Robert and Alexander.
In 1785, David and his wife moved to what was then Greene County, North Carolina, but is now Knox County, Tennessee. Together with three of David’s cousins ("Elder David" Campbell, Alexander Campbell and "Big Jimmie" Campbell), they founded "Campbell’s Station" located on Turkey Creek, a few miles southwest of the site of modern-day Knoxville. In 1787, David obtained a patent from the State of North Carolina, for 500 acres of land on Turkey Creek. Colonel Campbell’s recollections concerning the early history of the Station are found in the Document 2 of the Personal Letters Section of this web site. An incident concerning Colonel Campbell’s wife which took place at the Station during an Indian attack is found in Document 3 of the Personal Letters Section. A map of the Campbell’s Station vicinity and recent photographs of the Campbell’s Station site have also been appended.
David served in Lord Dunmore’s War (1774) and in the Revolutionary War. He served as a private at the Battle of Long Island Flats (July 1776) and at King’s Mountain (October 1780). David was made a Captain of the Knox County Militia by Territorial Governor William Blount in 1792. After Tennessee became a state, Governor John Sevier appointed him a 2nd Major in the Tennessee Militia for Knox County ( 04 October 1796). He was appointed Lieutenant Colonel Commandant of the Knox County Militia on 20 December 1800.
David remained in Tennessee after his brother and uncles removed to Fayette County, Virginia (now Kentucky) in 1784. He participated in the government of the independent "State of Franklin" as a member of the Franklin Assembly. In 1787 he represented Greene County in the North Carolina General Assembly. After Tennessee was admitted to the Union, he was elected to the Tennessee State Legislature, representing Knox County in the forth and fifth General Assemblies (1801-1805).
Wives and Children
David’s wife Margaret died on 29 July 1799. In September 1803, he married, as his second wife, Jane Montgomery Cowan, widow of Samuel Cowan of Knox County. He and his second wife moved to Wilson County, Tennessee in the year 1823, where he acquired a 600 acre farm about seven miles from the City of Lebanon, Tennessee. Colonel Campbell died on 18 August 1832 and is buried in the village cemetery at Leeville, Tennessee. His second wife, Jane, died on 18 September 1840. Colonel Campbell had seven children by his first wife and three by his second. One of his daughters, Mary Hamilton Campbell, married Governor David Campbell (1779-1859) of Virginia: this David was a grandson of White David Campbell and served as Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia from 1837-1840. Their home, in Abingdon, Virginia was named Mont Calm.
- ↑ Trails of Time, Genealogy Website of Mary Underwood, http:/www.primenet.com/~azcat.home.htm, (e-mail: azcat@@primenet.com).
- West, Carroll Van. The Tennessee encyclopedia of history and culture. (Nashville, Tennessee: Rutledge Hill Press, c1998).
David Campbell, Revolutionary War captain, State of Franklin supporter, and early Knox County settler and merchant, was born in Augusta County, Virginia, in 1753. His distinguished career began in 1774, when he served in the Virginia militia during Lord Dunmore's War; the next year, he served as clerk of court at Fincastle, Botetourt County, Virginia. During the American Revolution, he fought at the battle of Long Island Flats in 1776 and was Captain of the Virginia militia during the battle of Kings Mountain in 1780.
About 1782 Campbell moved his family to present-day Washington County, Tennessee; then at an unknown time, he moved to a new farm near Strawberry Plains in present-day Jefferson County. By around 1787 Campbell was residing in western Knox County and built a blockhouse, known as Campbell's Station, along the present-day Kingston Pike, where he lived for the next thirty-six years.
His military record led to a political career, first in North Carolina, then the new state of Tennessee. He served in the North Carolina House of Commons in 1787, was a member of the Assembly of the State of Franklin, and was in the Tennessee House of Representatives from 1801 to 1805. In Knox County Campbell managed his farm as well as a mercantile business in partnership with Charles McClung of Knoxville. At the end of 1822 he sold his Knox County property and moved to Wilson County, where he lived until his death in 1832. Campbell is buried in the Leeville churchyard in Wilson County.