Facts and Events
||18 JAN 1788
||New York, United States
||13 MAY 1813
||New YorkQuality: 3
to Abigail Smith
||Pennsylvania, United States
||BET 1830 AND 1860
||Jefferson, Ashtabula, Ohio, United States
||16 NOV 1862
||Kimball, St. Clair, Michigan, United States
||Kimball, St. Clair, Michigan, United StatesMallory Cemetery
||This page represents a "brick wall" -- i.e., researchers are "stuck" in their efforts to find more information. Can you help? Use the Talk page for discussion of this particular brick wall.
In The Sacketts of America, Weygant lists Daniel's parents as Benjamin and Phebe (Davis) Sackett. However, Weygant was mistaken, and the Daniel Sackett who died in Troy in 1845 and married Sarah Pardee was actually the son of Benjamin and Phebe. Research proves this error: all of the diary of George Holcomb, the surrogate record and probate of Daniel Sackett of Troy, and the Surrogate's Record of Benjamin Sackett support this conclusion.
On an unnumbered page in the Surrogate's Record of Benjamin Sackett (File No. 70-3032 at the Rensselaer County Historical Society), Daniel Sackett is named as the son of Benjamin Sackett, and on a separate page, he is identified as living in the City of Troy. At the time of Benjamin's death, the Daniel Sackett who married Abigail Smith was living further west.
Interestingly, if the will of Daniel of Troy hadn't been challenged by Charles H. Wheeler and his wife Elvira, then this error might not have been discovered, especially since one of the witnesses testified that he knew a brother of Daniel's at some time, not that he knew of Daniel's extensive family, some of whom still lived in the area.
According to the statutes of that time, the court was under obligation to notify all heirs and next of kin of the probate hearing, even if they weren't mentioned in the will. Most of the 12 pages of the will are the citations and affidavits of service for all of Daniel Sackett's next of kin, since he left his entire estate to his wife, Sarah.
Furthermore, according to the diary of George Holcomb, the Daniel Sackett in Troy was the brother of Benjamin Sackett, jr., son of Capt. Benjamin Sackett and Phebe Davis. (The Stephentown Historical Society has plans to release the over-900-pages diary on pdf at some future date. They were kind enough to provide me with 90 pages of Sackett references.)
I'm still not certain how Weygant made such a glaring error. Perhaps this Daniel's father was a Benjamin also from Rensselaer County? --Obstinatesnooper 13:55, 30 July 2011 (EDT)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sackett Bible, Recorded lost in 1995, Daniel Sackett.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Weygant, Charles. The Sacketts of America: their ancestors and descendants, 1630-1907. (Newburgh, N.Y. : Journal Print, 1907).
Weygant lists Daniel's parents as Benjamin and Phebe (Davis) Sackett. This is a glaring error, and the Daniel Sackett who died in Troy in 1845 and married Sarah Pardee was the son of Benjamin and Phebe.
- ↑ National Archives and Records Administration. 1860 US Federal Census: MICR1860, Government: United States, State: Michigan, Online Pub Info: Provo, Utah: My. (Washington, D.C.).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 National Archives and Records Administration. 1850 US Federal Census: OHCR1850, Government: United States, State: Ohio, Online Pub Info: Provo, Utah: MyAnce. (Washington, D.C.), fullcite.
- ↑ Mallory Cemetery, MI.
- ↑ Mallory Cemetery, MI, rubbing appeared to say Nov 16 1862.
Rubbing in HBB files. Definitely said Daniel Sackett and appeared to say Nov 16 1862
- ↑ National Archives and Records Administration. 1850 US Federal Census: OHCR1850, Government: United States, State: Ohio, Online Pub Info: Provo, Utah: MyAnce. (Washington, D.C.), fullcite.
- ↑ Article on Daniel Sacketts forthcoming.
- ↑ Holcomb, George. Diary of George Holcomb, Secondary quality.
- ↑ Daniel Sackett 117, in New York. Surrogate's Court (Rensselaer County). Rensselaer County Surrogate's Court Records 1786-1917, 1845, Primary quality.
- ↑ Benjamin Sackett 303, in New York. Surrogate's Court (Rensselaer County). Rensselaer County Surrogate's Court Records 1786-1917, 1826, Primary quality.
- ↑ Determine if any Loomis lived in the same area as Daniel Sackett. Alanson Sackett m. Mary Loomis.