Facts and Events
Daniel Price was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 67.--2d February, 1754. Patton (Col. James Patton) to Augustine, Henry and Daniel Price, 1130 acres on Tom's Creek, a branch of New River. Cor. Jacob Lorton, line of John Adams' land.
- Page 240.--18th May, 1762. Henry ( ) Price to Daniel Price, £30, 112 acres, part of 400 acres patented to John Roads, 15th March, 1764, between Shanando River and Peaked Mountain. Delivered: Adam Price, the present owner, 20th March, 1815.
- Page 87 - Daniel Price, 85 acres, North side of the Shanandoah River. Adjoining Judy Burk. May 29, 1767. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 32].
- Page 200 - Daniel Price, 85 acres, Peaked Mountain. Adjoining Henry Julius, Henry Lung. July 27, 1772. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 72].
- Page 25 - Daniel Price, 143 acres, between Peaked Mountain and Shenandoah River. Adjoining Branaman. February 13, 1783. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 105].
- Page 26 - Daniel Price, 49 acres, North West side of Shenandoah River. February 18, 1783. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 106].
- Page 40 - Daniel Price, 25 acres, between Peaked Mountain and Shenandoah River. Adjoining Peter Breniman. Dec. 6, 1783. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 111].
Processioning List of 1767/8
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settler’s lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Vol. 2 - Page 446.--1767-68: Processioned by John Coutts and John Miller, viz: For John Miller, for John Fudge, for John Munge (Conrad Fudge present), for Geo. Hufman, for Geo. Gunrod, for Henry Dick, for Peter Brunemer, for Henry Lung, for Francis Kirtley, for Christopher Cisling, for Boston Nester, for Jerod Peterfish, for Stephen Hanceberry, for John Sellers, for Jacob Runkle, for Nicholas Null, for Charles Fie, for Daniel Link, for Daniel Price, for David McComis, for John Burk, for Mathias Cersh, for Jacob Hammer
Records of Daniel Price in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1753. - Michael and Augustine Price vs. Lorton and Patton.--In July, 1748, the Prices agreed with Israel Lorton to purchase from Lorton, land on New River. Lorton had bought 3 tracts from James Patton, 1, containing 400 acres, at mouth of Jones (Toms) Creek, where Lorton had entered and improved, called Lorton's First Improvement; 2d, 400 acres at Horse Shoe Bottom, called Lorton's Second Improvement; 3d, 400 acres at Beaver Dam. Prices bought 1st and 2d. Bill filed, 1751. Tract No. 1 is in possession of Michael Price and Philip Horloes (s/b Harless); No. 2 is in possession of Augustine Price and his brothers, Daniel and Henry Price. Amended bill filed, but Israel Lorton died, and bill for revivor. Jacob Lorton and Jacob Harman were Lorton's administrators.
- Page 203.--17th February, 1758. Colonel James Patton's estate; appraised by Thomas Stewart, John Ramsey, Edward Hall. List of bonds, bills, &c., due the estate: Page 205.-- Augustine and Daniel Price, 1st March, 1753. (listed among many others).
- Page 274.--15th September, 1758. Henry Baughman's appraisement, by Valentine Pence, Daniel Price, Peter Selers (Silers?).
- Page 358.--8th February, 1759. Vendue of John Wingord's (Vinegard) estate--To Henry Colar, Christopher Kishlinger, Christopher Wingord, Ludwick Francisco, Augustine Price, Tetrach Couch, Conrad Bloze, Frederick Ermantrout, Jacob Nicholas, Margt. Wilmouth, Brice Russell, Alvenus Byar, Jacob Parsinger, Charles Man, Nicholas Millberry, Jno. Craig, Danl. Price, Jno. Fuge, Jacob Man, Henry Perkey, Nicholas Null, Jas. Laird, Charles Ty (Fy?), Paslin Hover, Valentine Cough, Valentine Cook, Valentine Pence, Robt. Scott, Jacob Man, Stephen Conrad, Christian Tetrach, Valentine Butcher, Peter Herman, Wm. Beard, John Couch.
- Vol. 2 - Page 303.--19th November, 1760: Barbara Price, orphan, bound to Daniel Price. (Note: relationship to Daniel Price not determined, may be a daughter of William Price, Daniel's brother).
- Page 30 - Thomas Bush, 47 acres, between Peaked Mountain and Shenandoah River. Adjoining Daniel Price. May 11, 1763. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 12].
- Page 378.--(Processioners appointed as follows, viz (1764):)Michael Dickey, Ben. Harrison, Michael Hogshead, James Gamble, from Court House to Jenning's Gap, then along the Mountain to the Dry River, down the same to the North River, down to Fowler's, thence to Staunton. Alex. Herron, Arthur Trader, Thos. Harrison, John Cunningham, from Fowler's along the road to the County line on the side of North Mountain. Adam Bird and John Thomas, in Brock's Gap to the mountain. Archibald Huston, James Brewster, Thos. Moore, Thos. Lackey, from County Line to Fowler's, then down North River to Mr. Jones's, then along the Picked Mountain to the County line. Henry Long, Daniel Price, Jacob Miller, Jacob Nicholas, from Mr. Jones's to the Picked Mountain, and as low as the County Line on both sides the river to Mouth of South River. Adam Rider and Michael Neese, in the Forests. Andrew Lockridge, Alex. Hamilton, Joseph Waughub, Lanty Graham, on both Rivers of Calfpasture and waters thereof.
- Page 280.--11th September, 1768. Henry Seller to Adam Seller, £60, 168 acres patented to Henry, 1st June, 1750. on Shanando, Philip Long's land; corner Peter Sellers'; also 205 acres patented to Henry, 30th August, 1763, between Peaked Mountain and Shanando River; corner Stephen Hemsberger. Teste: John Seller, Daniel ( ) Price, Jacob Hammer.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER, 1766 (A). - Carpenter vs. Fonts (Fotch).--Chancery. Writ dated 24th November, 1763. - Augustine Price deposes before Felix Gilbert: That is March, 1762, in company with George Carpenter, John Fetch and others, Carpenter and Fetch agreed to leave their dispute to Jacob Pershinger, Jacob Nicholas and Daniel Price, but they could not agree, when they came to an agreement themselves, the only question remaining whether Virginia or Pennsylvania Currency. Daniel Price deposes the same.
- Page 493.--21st March, 1772. Phillip Harles' will--Executors, Mathias Kersh and Augustine Price; to wife, Margaret; to son, Martin Harless, tract on Sinking Creek called Clover Bottom, in Botetourt County; to son, Immanuel, infant, 600 acres where testator lives; to son, Philip, 113 acres in Botetourt; to son, David, 300 acres in Botetourt on Tom's Creek; to son. Henry, cash; to daughter, Margaret; to daughter, Mary. Teste: Archd. Huston, Samuel Bell, Margaret Bell. Proved, 19th May, 1772, by Huston and Bell (Saml.). Augustine Price qualifies with Charles Rush, Henry Price, Danl. Price.
- Page 52.--16th March, 1773. Charles Rush's bond (with Daniel Price, Danl. Sink) as administrator of Henry Stalsnaker.
- Page 271.--7th October, 1774. Henry Deck's estate appraised by John Seller, Daniel Price, Jacob Bare.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County - 1785--May 2, Henry Dacke and Gerdrant Price, daughter of Daniel Price; surety, Gasper Snider; witness, James Preis.