Facts and Events
Likely birthplaces could be Harrison Co, VA or Ravenswood area, then Mason Co, VA.
He and his wife are between 20 & 30 in Meigs Co, OH 1830 census. There are 2 children under 5 and a young girl between 15 & 20 living with them.
He and his wife are between 30 & 40 in the Jackson Co, VA 1840 census. There are 7 children in the family. He is living beside Lawrence Lane, the second husband of Daniel's mother, Eleanor.
His brother, Hezehiah and his young wife are also in this 1840 census.
But by 1850, the family had broken up. We don't know yet what happened, but I have not found Mary in any census. Daniel and his oldest son are living in a hotel, one daughter is married and the other children are farmed out to other families.
Daniel is found in the 1850 Jackson Co, VA census, age 45 yrs, laborer, born in VA, living in a Hotel.
His age in 1860 census is 52 yrs, living with Harmon and Charlotte (Jackson) Barnhart; Daniel's daughter.
His age in 1870 census is 69 yrs, living with Thomas & Eliza (Taylor) Landon.
Daniel's children in 1850:
Hezekiah (13) was living with Joseph & Nancy (Cobb) Buffington in Meigs Co, OH
Sarinia (4) was living with Joseph & Nancy (Cobb) Buffington in Meigs Co, OH
Leonard (5) was living with John & Matilda Lee in Meigs Co, OH
David A. (17) was living with Silas & Anne Taylor in Meigs Co, OH
Elizabeth (11) was living with John & Mozella Armstrong in Jackson Co, VA
Charlotte (21) had married Harmon Barnhart in 1844 and was listed with him in Jackson Co, VA
William (21)was living with Peter ?? who kept Hotel in Jackson Co, VA
Daniel the father (45), was living in the same Hotel in Jackson Co, VA
If anyone knows anything about this family or these children, please leave a message on the talk page.
I (Janie) have today 3/6/2006, received a wonderful family history concerning the descendants of Daniel's son, Hezekiah, with a brief paragraph about Daniel which I will quote below. I encourage you to read the whole fascinating history in the "Historical Stories" section of the Jackson website. The History, called "Home Folks" was written by Eunice and Cart for their children and the first paragraph is as follows:
- "Your great grandfather, Daniel Jackson, was married twice and each wife bore him three sons. The family lived in West Virginia, where there was a great division of sentiment during the Civil War and feeling ran very high, frequently dividing families. The three older boys, Dave, Bill and Ned, joined the Confederate army, while the younger brothers, your Grandfather Hezekiah, and his two brothers, George (Uncle Charlie's father) and Len, became Union soldiers. Your grandfather said he never went into battle that he did not pray he would not meet one of his older brothers in the enemy lines. He never did, though his half-brother, Dave, was killed fighting against the Union Soldiers." This last statement though is not correct as David was still alive and on the census for 1880.
- ↑ United States. 1840 U.S. Census Population Schedule.
- ↑ United States. 1830 U.S. Census Population Schedule, Meigs Co, Lebanon Twnp, OH.
His birth year is estimated from this census.
- Jackson, P. A. Jackson Ledger. (1887), 21.
- United States. 1860 U.S. Census Population Schedule, Twp n/g, Jackson Co., Virginia.
Living with Harman Barnett, his son-in-law.
Help fund new features!