Facts and Events
NOTE: For an analysis of the various 'Cash McDonalds' in Montague, Texas click on this link.
1850 Census District 47, Lawrence Co., Missouri
407/411 blank-no given OR last name 35 M farmer KY
Drucilla McDonald 35 F KY
Nancy J McDonald 12 F MO
Samuel McDonald 6 M MO
Cassius McDonald 1 M MO
1860 U.S. Census dist n/s, Montague Co., Texas
C. McDonald 46 M Farmer 450 651 KY
Drucillia McDonald 46 F KY
Samuel McDonald 16 M Arks
Cashious McDonald 10 M MO
Josep McDonald 8 M MO
Baylor McDonald 6 M MO
Mary McDonald 4 F MO
1870 Census Precinct 1, Montague, Texas
McDonald, Casus 57 M W Farmer 600 1,000 KY married
McDonald, Drucilla 58 F W housekeeper KY married
McDonald, Casus 19 M W MO
McDonald, Joseph 17 M W MO
McDonald, Baylor 16 M W MO
McDonald, Mary E. 12 F W MO
Texas Muster Roll Index
Extracted from Texas Rangers Indian War Pensions by Robert W. Stephens, Page 66:
McDONALD, Cash (Ind. Sur. No. 12938)
Born September 16, 1849, in Lawrence County, Missouri, died January 13, 1923, in Bowie, Texas. Married Mahala M. Jackson September 29, 1870, in Montague County, Texas; she was born March 30, 1852, died June 2, 1925. Application based on service in Lieutenant J.J. Willingham’s Company U of Montague County from April 20, 1872, to October, 1872. Application approved.
1880 Census Precinct 3, Montague Co., Texas
McDonald, D. C. W M 30 married Farmer MO KY KY
McDonald, Mahala W F 25 wife married keeping house AR AR GA
McDonald, Jane W F 8 dau Single TX MO AR
McDonald, Bell W F 6 dau single TX MO AR
McDonald, Cashus W M 3 son S TX MO AR
McDonald, William W M 1 son S TX MO AR
The McDonalds three hh down from D. C. are probably his parents:
1880 Census Precinct 3, Montague Co., Texas
McDonald, Cashus W M 66 married farmer KY NY SC
McDonald, Maggie W F 58 wife married keeping GA GA GA (second wife)
McMurry, Joseph W M 27 boarder single farm hand TN TN TN
Yes! Note that in 1900 Maggie is living with Andrew Jackson & wife Mary. Maggie is said to be Andrew's mother-in-law. She is indexed as Maggie but examination of the image shows it could be Mazzie and probably was, because her gravemarker has her name as Mazy.
1900 Census Dist 59, Justice Precinct 8, Montague Co., Texas
McDonald, Dace Head W M Feby 1853 47 M@28 MO MO MO Farmer
McDonald, Mahala wife W F Mar 1851 43 M@29 9ch/8 lvg AR AR AR
McDonald, Jacob son W M July 1878 22 S TX MO AR farm laborer
McDonald, David son W M July 1884 15 S TX MO AR farm laborer
McDonald, Rosa dau W F Feby 1887 13 S TX MO AR
McDonald, Lillie dau W F Feby 1888 12 S TX MO AR
McDonald, Cara son W M May 1895 5 S TX MO AR (is dau in 1910C)
(Birth year and age of Mahala was nearly impossible to read; is recorded as indexed at ancestry.com even though this is not logical. The birth year for Jacob is also in error; he was not yet born according to the 1880 census and his death record has his date of birth as 14 Jan 1884. Therefore, all these birth dates are suspect.)
1910 Census District 0172, Bowie Ward 2, Montague Co., Texas
McDonald, Dace C. Head M W 60 M1 39yrs MO KY KY
McDonald, Mahala M. L. wife F W 58 M1 39yrs 9ch/7 lvg AR n/s USA
McDonald, Rosa dau F W 24 S TX MO AR
McDonald, Carrie dau F W 14 S TX MO AR
I will leave this here just for future information. But this cannot be the Cash McDonald who married Mahala Jackson. This D. C. McDonald was too young a man when he died - and look at his assumed birthdate. Later consideration: I see that the date of death agrees with the info in the Texas Rangers Pension application. So perhaps the info in this death record was not transcribed correctly.
Texas Deaths, 1890-1976 at familysearch.org
name: D.C. Mcdonald
death date: 13 Jan 1923
death place: Bowie, Montague, Texas
death age: 43 years 10 months
estimated birth date: 1880
marital status: Married
father's name: Cork Mcdonald
father's birthplace: MO
mother's name: Don't Know
occupation: Ret. Farmer
cemetery: Liberty Grave Yard
burial date: 13 Jan 1923
digital film number: 4166832
- ↑ United States. 1850 U.S. Census Population Schedule, District 47, Lawrence Co., Missouri.
- ↑ Stephens, Robert W. (Robert Wray). Texas Ranger Indian War pensions. (Quanah, Texas: Nortex Press, c1975), Page 66.
This record says Cash was born 16 Sep 1849 but the transcription of his gravestone says 15 Sep 1849.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Liberty Cemetery, Montague County, Texas.
- ↑ Texas, United States. Texas Deaths, 1890-1976. (FamilySearch).
- United States. 1850 U.S. Census Population Schedule, District 47, Lawrence Co., Missouri.
- United States. 1870 U.S. Census Population Schedule, Precinct 1, Montague, Texas.
- United States. 1880 U.S. Census Population Schedule, Precinct 3, Montague Co., Texas.
- United States. 1900 U.S. Census Population Schedule. (National Archives Microfilm Publication T624), Justice Precinct 8, Montague Co., Texas.
- United States. 1910 U.S. Census Population Schedule. (National Archives Microfilm Publication T623), Bowie Ward 2, Montague Co., Texas.
- United States. 1920 U.S. Census Population Schedule. (National Archives Microfilm Publication T625), Bowie Ward 2, Montague Co., Texas.
- United States. 1860 U.S. Census Population Schedule, Montague Co., Texas.
Help fund new features!