Facts and Events
Claudius Buster was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 307.--15th August, 1780. John Burger and Suckey, of Albemarle. to Claudius Buster, of Augusta. (Note: location listed in disposition below: "on Blue Ridge Mountains in Augusta and Amherst, known as Rockfish Gap, patented to William Rodgers and John Burger").
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 448.--21st May, 1782. Claudius Bustard and Dorcas to James Hays and Braxton Easthum, on Blue Ridge Mountains in Augusta and Amherst, known as Rockfish Gap, patented to William Rodgers and John Burger.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 2 - FEE BOOKS OF AUGUSTA COURT, 1768 -- page 69, Richard Woods, Albemarle; page 125, Claudius Bustard, Albemarle. (Note: listed among many others).
- Page 287.--19th May, 1778. Henry Waterson and Ann ( ), of Botetourt, to Samuel Woods, of Amherst. Delivered: Claudius Bustard, August, 1780.
- Page 74.--6th September, 1797. Claudius Buster's bond as administrator of David Buster. (Note: David was the brother of Claudius).
- Vol. 2 - SEPTEMBER, 1807 (N to Z). Claudius Buster and Jno. Staples vs. William Anderson--Ejectment. Patent by Monroe, 1801, to plaintiffs, 54 acres on Back Creek. (Record may belong to a younger claudius).
Records in Bath County, VA
- Pg. 32 - Power of attorney given by John Stiff to George McRoberts of Lincoln Co, Ky., to receive from Claudius Bustard deed to 500 acres in Kentucky on Silver Creek, or 600 acres on Rockcastle, or 600 acres on Sandy, Sept. 9, 1794.
- Wit: Andrew Lewis, Absolem Garnett and James Graham.
- [Source: Abstract of Wills and Inventories of Bath County, 1791-1842, Bruns, pg. 5].
- [Note: the above-mentioned 500-acre tract on Silver Creek in Madison County, Kentucky appears to have been involved in a civil suit "Buster's Executor vs. Wallace", filed 15 May 1809, as listed in "Virginia Reports: Jefferson--33 Grattan, 1730-1880", pg. 817 and "Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the Supreme Court of Appeals of Virginia, with select cases relating chiefly to points of practice, decided by the Superior Court of Chancery for the Richmond District", pg. 82].
Help fund new features!