"15. Christopher4 Avery (James3, James2 Christopher1) was b. Jan. 23, 1679-80, at Groton; bap. Feb. 28, 1679-80, First Church of New London; … Christopher4 Avery was selectman, 1731, 1735, 1737; surveyor, 1736, and served as one of the justices for New London County. He was clerk of the North Society (Groton) church. In 1724 and 1725, he was deputy to the general court; he was successively ensign, lieutenant (1714), and captain (1730). (Conn. Col Rec., 6:426, 483, 553 & 7:303). In the division of land in the northwest part of Groton (now Ledyard), … Christopher took the eastern part, and there he lived, died, and was buried. 'Captain Christopher Avery deceased, January 20, 1753, in the 73d year of his age' (Groton Records). His will was dated March 18, 1752; he mentioned wife, Susanna; sons, John, Christopher, Nathan, and Jacob; daughters, Abigail Allyn, Priscilla Breed, Hannah Gallup, and Temperance Morgan; granddau., Prudence, dau. of son, Isaac, deceased; Susanna Stoddard, mother of Prudence. His property was appraised thus: Homestead farm. £10,000 (old tenor); Brewster's Neck farm. 2,500; Negroes-Jube 500, Jeune 250, Nero 530, Lydia 260, Sarah 240, Tom 210. In 1888, some of his descendants set up a brown-stone obelisk on the east side of Avery Hill, Ledyard (formerly the North Parish of Groton) not far from his former home. The front bears this inscription: "Christopher Avery, 1680-1753 His Four Wives. His daughter, Temperance, and her husband, William Morgan, were buried in the same lot."